Is this normal?

/ Is this normal? #1  

kidkioti

Bronze Member
Would like some input on this matter before I call dealer. Have a Kioti CK 27 HST that I purchased March of this year ( 54 hrs ). In the beginning, things were normal. It started appropriately the first time. At times, it began to just turn over on the initial try but not start. After repeated attempts it would start and run normally. However, the situation is such that it has been doing this more often and can occur at any time. Also when this occurs you can keep cranking it for as long as you like with the same result. If you're fortunate it will start first time then you have no problem once it starts, until next time? You're input and assistance would be very much appreciated. KK

/ Is this normal? #2  
My CK25 is 5 years old. It has always started on the first try without grinding on the starter. I always wait until the glow plug light goes out before trying and bump the throttle a little bit. I also use PowerService in all my fuel. Yours should behave similarly. Perhaps your glow plugs aren't coming on all the time?

It does run better when colde since I started using PowerService additive.

/ Is this normal? #3  
My CK30hst is also five years old and starts up like it did on day one using the same procedure as Gittyup. I use Stanadyne fuel additive but it seems like your glow plugs aren't heating. Especially when it starts fine after being run and warmed up. There is a glow plug relay, mounted on the firewall, that has been known to malfunction which is probably the first thing I'd look at. Unless you're far from your dealer, I'd let them take a look at it. Warranty will cover that.

/ Is this normal? #4  
The big question.... are you waiting for the glow plug light to go off every time? I cycle the plugs year round and my nearly 1000 hour CK30 is still starting with a short bump of the starter. Right away. I had a GPR fail and it would stick in the "on" position and kill the battery.

/ Is this normal? #5  
Not normal probably a bad glow plug relay.

BTI

/ Is this normal? #6  
Certainly not normal, my 5 yr old CK20 starts first try every time even when -20F. The bad glow plug relay sounds like the problem.

/ Is this normal? #7  
Would like some input on this matter before I call dealer. Have a Kioti CK 27 HST that I purchased March of this year ( 54 hrs ). In the beginning, things were normal. It started appropriately the first time. At times, it began to just turn over on the initial try but not start. After repeated attempts it would start and run normally. However, the situation is such that it has been doing this more often and can occur at any time. Also when this occurs you can keep cranking it for as long as you like with the same result. If you're fortunate it will start first time then you have no problem once it starts, until next time? You're input and assistance would be very much appreciated. KK

Does it spew white vapor (vaporized fuel) out of the exhaust when rolling over? If so, possibly bad glow plug(s) as stated. If no white vapor, maybe fuel solenoid is starting to stick closed and may free up from engine vibrating while rolling over then opening allowing it to start. Just my two cents worth.

Steve

/ Is this normal?
All your replies have been appreciated and very helpful. Especially the ones directed at the glow plug relay. The pre-heating indicator light does NOT go out. I've even held the key in the preheat position approx 12 secs. or more during those times before engaging the starter. Tonight on the 3rd try it started. I'll talk with the dealer and see what they can do. Thank you for taking the time to reply. KK

/ Is this normal? #9  
All your replies have been appreciated and very helpful. Especially the ones directed at the glow plug relay. The pre-heating indicator light does NOT go out. I've even held the key in the preheat position approx 12 secs. or more during those times before engaging the starter. Tonight on the 3rd try it started. I'll talk with the dealer and see what they can do. Thank you for taking the time to reply. KK

The more tries the warmer the cyls are getting and therefore will start on third shot. Most likely glow plugs, let us know.

Can be one of a few things, heat, compression and fuel, unlikely compression or fuel.

Joel

/ Is this normal?

Spoke with the dealer this AM. They will pick it up and do the 50 hr service and check out the problem. Go over the system - Possible Relay or Control unit?? Will report when this has been accomplished. KK