CK20 hourmeter not working

/ CK20 hourmeter not working #1  

RoMad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710
Well, I am down to one thing not working on my new to me ck20. The hour meter does not work. The tractor is a 2003 and the meter reads 188 hours. I asked the guy I bought it from and he said it broke a couple years ago and he just didn't bother fixing it. (he was a little stingy witht the truth about the 4wd, so not sure if he didn't bother or it cost too much to fix).
The tach, fuel gauge, and dash lights all work, but not the hour meter. I called the local dealer and the parts person said to check the cable.
My son has been trouble shooting it for me as I have been out of town working. He took the cable off and said it seemed to be working fine. Does the tach cable also run the hourmeter??
I will be heading home at lunch time today.
Any ideas or suggestions?

/ CK20 hourmeter not working #2  
My old posting from 9-18-2006:

The hour meter on my LK3054 crapped out at 1035 hours and never worked again. Only way to fix it would have been to replace the entire panel and that was too costly. I bought an hour meter, installed it below the dash (a bit hard to see, but how often do you look at it from the driver's seat?) and made sure I had a good drip loop on it. I bought it from TMI Technology (via Ebay). It has a flashing LED to indicate it is working (a real plus) and it is backlit too. Installed in no time and I've been very happy with it. Since I put a new engine in, it was best to install a new hour meter with all zeros for maintenance purposes.

/ CK20 hourmeter not working
Thank you, I went to their website and looked at their meters. If we can't find a bad connection or something simple I am going to buy one from them.

/ CK20 hourmeter not working #4  
Hi,
My hour meter also doesn't work. Where did you pick off the voltage for the new meter? Did you have to open up the dash?

thank you

/ CK20 hourmeter not working #5  
hey
can you help with this? Looking for where to tap the new hour meter in. Did you have to remove the dash?

thank you

/ CK20 hourmeter not working #6  
The electric meter "runs" whenever the key switch is ON. So you can tap into that power on the downstream side of any of the several fuses that are powered when the switch is "on". There are several versions of the CK20 (with different schematics) so I can't give a detailed answer.

Also, FYI, many of the older tractors (including my 2006 DK) have a "mechanical" hour meter driven off the tachometer. This may use a mechanical cable or an electrical signal to measure RPM. This type of tach indicates "tach hours" (really a rev counter) which are the same as actual hours only at rated engine speed (red triangle on tach).

/ CK20 hourmeter not working #8  
Why all the worry about an hour meter? Just change the oil once a year and grease every time you use it.