2005 CK30 Intermittent Start Issue Resolved!

/ 2005 CK30 Intermittent Start Issue Resolved! #1  

TBDonnelly

Veteran Member
In the palm of Michigan's Lower Peninsula
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST, KL130 FEL, turf tires
The Issue: Difficult re-starting warm 2005 CK30. Engine would crank over but would fail to start when re-starting after tractor use. Leaving the tractor sit for a while, it would usually start.

The Resolution: The linkage between the throttle and the shut off solenoid was binding from 5 years of dirt buildup. The sticky linkage was not allowing the shut off solenoid to retract and release without binding. My feeling is, leaving the tractor sit for a while would allow the shut off solenoid to slowly return to it's static position and the tractor would start. Lubricating the linkages between the throttle cable and the shut off solenoid freed the pivot points and the shut off solenoid now retracts and extends freely.

Picture attached: Shut off solenoid has the gold barrel with rubber caps on both ends.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_1900.JPG
    IMG_1900.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 241
   / 2005 CK30 Intermittent Start Issue Resolved! #2  
On my 2005 CK30hst, I always listen for that nice clicking sound the solenoid makes and I use some spray white lithium grease on the linkages. So far no problems. I'm sure your info will help others because this solenoid has been a starting culprit before in a few previous posts.

/ 2005 CK30 Intermittent Start Issue Resolved! #4  
Thanks Don, that's great to know.

/ 2005 CK30 Intermittent Start Issue Resolved! #5  
Whenever I hear about lubricating something that can get dirty I think is it best to lubricate or try to keep as clean and dry as possible?

Congrats on the fix, feels good to get something like that resolved.

Joe

/ 2005 CK30 Intermittent Start Issue Resolved! #6  
"..is it best to lubricate or try to keep as clean and dry as possible?"

Maybe both, with frequent inspections.... or, maybe graphite powder, which is dry, would work OK? I use that in situations where a "wet" lube would cause dirt to stick.

Nice info, thanks- sounds like a similar situation could occur on other tractors as well.

/ 2005 CK30 Intermittent Start Issue Resolved! #7  
:shocked: 5 years and no wash?!

/ 2005 CK30 Intermittent Start Issue Resolved! #8  
:shocked: 5 years and no wash?!

just because you switched to tighty-whiteys, you don't have to poke fun at others' hygiene..

/ 2005 CK30 Intermittent Start Issue Resolved!
Deep down Rick still bleeds orange. :drink:
I do have my annual tractor appointment with the 'dry' cleaners scheduled. :D

A little clarification with my picture posted in the first post. The cable visible in the picture is the manual shut down cable. The throttle cable is actually just out of view above the top of the picture. I used PBlaster to lubricate but I think some sort of dry lubricant would be beneficial to keep the dirt build up to a minimum.

Don