CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke

/ CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke #1  

tassiedevil

Tractor
CK 20 Hst
CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke.. :confused:
Just thought I would let you know of a problem with my little machine.
I was slashing the yard yesterday quite happily thinking there may not be a better small tractor in the world and admiring the transformation from jungle to lawn when heading back up the hill the little beast started coughing and blowing blue smoke. The noise was similar to the pto being knocked out and the overrunning clutch ratchetting away, but slightly heavier. I checked this as a possibility but the pto was still engaged.. Any way I nursed it up the hill and into the trailer for an emergency run back to the dealer..
I have put nearly 700 hours on her but the meter stopped at 280 so thats just an estimate.
The dealer cant have a good look for a few days but seems to think it is an injector / fuel problem... any thoughts ... similar issues would be appreciated, over and out.... the tasmanian...

/ CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke #2  
Injector

/ CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke #3  
Have the dealer fix or replace your hour meter at the same time. Nice to have it working so you do oil and filter changes as well as other maintenance as scheduled without having to guess at how many hours you might have put on it. :)

/ CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke #4  
CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke.. :confused:
Just thought I would let you know of a problem with my little machine.
I was slashing the yard yesterday quite happily thinking there may not be a better small tractor in the world and admiring the transformation from jungle to lawn when heading back up the hill the little beast started coughing and blowing blue smoke. The noise was similar to the pto being knocked out and the overrunning clutch ratchetting away, but slightly heavier. I checked this as a possibility but the pto was still engaged.. Any way I nursed it up the hill and into the trailer for an emergency run back to the dealer..
I have put nearly 700 hours on her but the meter stopped at 280 so thats just an estimate.
The dealer cant have a good look for a few days but seems to think it is an injector / fuel problem... any thoughts ... similar issues would be appreciated, over and out.... the tasmanian...

Sounds like injector problem, however, if that is what they find, it is way premature to be having those sorta problems. Ken Sweet

/ CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke #5  
Just out of curiosity, do you use any kind of diesel fuel supplement...?

I have a friend with an older (2005) JD diesel tractor that had injector issues too and he never used any diesel supplement. I use it in every tank, so far so good. :thumbsup:

/ CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke #6  
Run a quality fuel filter and add some 2-stroke oil every so often for lubricity.

/ CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke
Just curious Injectors... is this a major expense ?
Anyway thanks for the good oil... on this one, will let you know what the outcome is.
regards.. matt.

/ CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke #8  
tassiedevil said:
Just curious Injectors... is this a major expense.

More than an oil change and less than internal engine repair. I would imagine several hundred for rebuild or replacement but Rick Wallace can give you a ballpark $ estimate.

/ CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke #9  
At your location, you might have an injector shop close. they can pressure check them for spray pattern and or malfunction. I hope you had a quality fuel filter in front of them, and have you checked for water at the fuel drain? Jy.

/ CK20 HST making knocking noise and blowing blue smoke #10  
What fuel drain??