CK front axle pivot grease

/ CK front axle pivot grease #1  

jake98

Veteran Member
Tractor
53 Cub, 70's JD 410, Kioti 25hst
My front axle pivot won't take grease. Zerk is clear. Maybe too tight adjustment?

/ CK front axle pivot grease #2  
How about jacking it up to unload the pivot. This might increase clearance for the grease channel. If that's not enough, drive out the pin and clean it out.

/ CK front axle pivot grease
I wonder if anybody knows of a diagram of what's in the pivot. I backed the adjuster out, but need to know if there are bearings or what in there before I pull the mount apart. Or actually if I even should..

/ CK front axle pivot grease #4  
On my CK30, I used the fel to take the load off and it took grease. I wouldn't think you need to take it apart unless it has gone years of no greasing and it's corroded or rusted. I have no idea of what's inside. I would imagine a bushing instead of a bearing.

/ CK front axle pivot grease #5  
I wouldn't. My 3054's front pivot is a bear to get grease into also. I lift the front axle with the loader and work the axle up/down;give it a shot of grease, work the axle;give it a shot. I thought about doing what you're thinking about, but changed my mind. I'm not sure whether your axle is set up like the 3054, which has a bushing between the carrier bracket and the axle housing support (stub)? I started removing mine, thought better of it and had a bear of a time getting back in place :ashamed:

/ CK front axle pivot grease #6  
The front axle pivots on a press fit bushing inside the support casting. There is a grease race in the bushing to distribute the grease, but it takes a firm talking to.

Taking the load off the front axle helps, along with rocking the axle while greasing. We usually lift the front of the tractor when we grease these.

Good news is, you haven't worn a lot of play in your pivot bushing.

You should re-set the tension on the adjustment bolt you backed out. You want about 12lbs of resistance on the front axle rocker.

/ CK front axle pivot grease
They have some bolts on the mount that don't like to come out easy. I loosened two and it felt like I was going to break them off. I tightened them back up and left it alone before I broke something.
I lifted, rocked the axle, no grease goin in there today.
Thanks for the replies.

/ CK front axle pivot grease #8  
They have some bolts on the mount that don't like to come out easy. I loosened two
and it felt like I was going to break them off. I tightened them back up and left it alone before I broke something.
I lifted, rocked the axle, no grease goin in there today.

I did a search and found this old thread.

Anyone take apart their front axle pivot? Pix?

My CK30 is just over 700h and 12.5y old. I was greasing my zerks, and could only
get my rear pivot zerk to take grease. Not the front. My axle, when suspended
does not pivot easily. If I stand on the wheel, it moves.

I wonder how many others of these tractors have resistive axle pivots.....

/ CK front axle pivot grease #9  
You can try this tool before you take it apart it might free it up. grease fitting cleaner 403100_700x700.jpg

/ CK front axle pivot grease #10  
My axle, when suspended
does not pivot easily. If I stand on the wheel, it moves.

It shouldn't rotate easily if adjusted correctly but you shouldn't have to stand on it. I move mine with my hand with the tractor front lifted for greasing. The rear zerk always takes grease easier than the front zerk. My CK30hst is the same age and hours. Usually grease everything Spring and Fall and after a big job. So far so good and never seen one apart. Maybe check the zerk fitting first if you haven't already and hope that's the problem.