What does "self leveling" loader mean?

/ What does "self leveling" loader mean? #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
What does \"self leveling\" loader mean?

In one of my earlier questions about loaders, Kiohio replied in part:

"My 45's and 50's only get the 1590 unless a customer requests one of the others, the self-leveling feature is just too nice."

What does "self-leveling" mean exactly? My guess would be that you could move the boom up and down and the bottom of the bucket would remain parallel to the ground? Or in the same dump/rollback position you leave it in? I saw a picture of the control lever and it had a "thumb button" on the knob - is that the control for the self-leveling? What is the price difference between a standard loaders and self-leveling loaders?

Thanks!
Mark

/ What does "self leveling" loader mean? #2  
Re: What does \"self leveling\" loader mean?

You've got it. Self-leveling means that the loader attachment (bucket, forks, etc...) maintains the same angle relative to the ground while the arms are raised or lowered.

There are two main types of self-leveling, mechanical and hydraulic. Neither of them requires operator intervention to actuate. ( hence "self" leveling )

If you look closely at a mechanical self-leveling loader you will notice a fulcrum pivot-point at the point where the upper and lower parts of the loader arm meet. This fulcrum attaches via a control rod to a fixed point at the upper attachment point for the loader, and via a second control rod to the attachment mounting plates.

The button on the side of the valve joystick is probably an auxiliary valve to control "power-beyond" circuits. This would be used if you had a 4-in-1 bucket or a loader mounted auger or such.

Hope this helps.

Larry

/ What does "self leveling" loader mean? #3  

Markie61, Price diff is around $500 if everything else is equal. For that money you also get a loader that will lift 400lbs more. The button is for a thumb like the man said. It diverts the bucket curl hydraulic flow to the push button circuit. That can be a thumb, grapple, or a hydra-jaw. The self-level is like he described also.
KO

/ What does "self leveling" loader mean?

Thanks y'all!
Mark

/ What does "self leveling" loader mean?
Re: What does

I went by the Kioti dealer yesterday (McCarty's in Haymarket, VA) and he happened to have have a DK50Cab with a 1590 (self-leveling loader). He gave me the keys and let me play.

WOW, is the loader nice! All you do is fill up, roll the bucket back, and then the only motion is pulling the joystick straight back to raise the boom - no need to worry about your load spilling out. Approaching your pile to fill is very easy because of the level indicating rod - get the bucket level while still off the ground, then all you have to get right is boom height.

BTW, the cab is REALLY nice. It is so luxurious, I would feel guilty getting the thing dirty. You have a very good view, door props, sunroof, and rear opening window are good for venitation. With everything closed up, the cab keeps a lot of the engine noise out. I would imagine heat and a/c are nice for temperature extremes. I think the seat was cloth covered. The joystick was even nicer in its shape and it is bolted to the floor. The am/fm/cassette stereo is ok, but I would put in a 220watt unit with 30cd changer and a big-[censored] double-ported bass kicker tube behind the seat /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif.

Oh, and I finally got the green light from my spousal unit (wife) to purchase a tractor in January. YIPPEEEEE!!!!!!!! I am narrowing down my choices and Kioti still ranks in the top 2. But the TBN Kioti discussion group is still my #1 place to go on the 'net/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

Mark