First time in snow with CK35

/ First time in snow with CK35 #1  

tommaple

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK35
We had our first significant snow last night, 11" of lake effect snow that was soft underneath from the ground's warmth. I don't have a snowplow for the Kioti but I needed to move it to get out the tractor that does have a plow.

I have read the posts about starting tractors in the winter and wasn't sure what to expect. It went down below 20 degrees last night so I turned the key until the glowplug light went out and engaged the starter. I don't think it turned over a full revolution before it was running! I did keep the glow plug light on after it started (as mentioned in another post) and it did run smoother, with less smoke.

While it was running I thought I'd see how it behaved in the snow. The tractor has a FEL and R4 tires (unloaded). I've never had a tractor with these tires and was expecting quite a bit of slipping according to other posts I've read. I was pleasantly surprised. I dropped the loader, put it in float and drove up the hill from the barn. With the wet snow the loader was pushing a section of snow that extended 8' in front of the bucket. The tractor never missed a beat. It worked so well I cleared the majority of the drive with it. I would expect it to work even better if it had an actual snowplow that would cast the snow to the side.

I pass this along in the event it might help someone in their decision on tires and equipment for winter use. So far I am very impressed with how this tractor starts in the cold and operates in the snow.

The only remaining question I have will be how it runs in the woods with snow on top of soft, muddy ground. That may be where the lack of Ag tires will be most evident.

A happy Kioti owner.

/ First time in snow with CK35 #2  
Glad to hear it went well with your snow clearing. :thumbsup: I have the same tractor and the first year I had it we had an unusual amount of snow, over 5 feet and I cleared our private road that is over 1/2 mile plus our driveway and are our building area, no problems. Had my backhoe on so got good weight on the back. Snow pics from 2 winters ago, the shiney tractor one is when I first got it 2 1/2 years ago. :)

Attachments

• Picture 055.jpg
    Picture 055.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Picture 056.jpg
    Picture 056.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
   / First time in snow with CK35
Mousefield,
That's a pretty spot you have there.
These little tractors can do some real work! The FEL can't be beat for moving piles of snow.
Tom