coolant recovery tank gurgling

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #41  
Well it seems to me bolt 14 was at the end of the block and if you didn't start over the head would not be properly fastened.
you may have saved yourself some further agravation by removing and starting over.

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #42  
With a clear head, I would have seen that the bolt snapped in the head and not the block. I assumed it snapped in the block and would require a drill and easy-out. In hindsight I could have found a wooden dowel or tree branch the correct diameter and length. With this I could have tapped it with a hammer to imbed it onto the broken stud and unscrewed it. It was not tight in the block, it easily unscrewed and it stuck up at least a 1/2" and the break was not flush and smooth but very jagged. I could have saved a head gasket and some time. I would have replaced just this bolt. But in hindsight this bolt didn't feel like the other 13 during torqueing and I should have removed it to inspect it before it broke. After it broke I was trying to think of someone I new who was mechanically inclined to call and just think through with my thoughts and I couldn't think of anyone I wouldn't be imposing on. So I went with my gut to rip it all apart and start over. My advice to you is be more patient than me and let the helpful folks on this site help you think it through.
Alot of times, you can actually use the broken piece of bolt and spin it backwards with an impact wrench or drill and unscrew the broken piece. Then fish it out with a telescoping magnet. Not sure if you know so I will just throw this out there, try to make sure ANY blind holes are cleaned out and dry.. Screwing a bolt into a hole full of fluid can cause horrible results. Bad things that can happen include the fluid being forced out in between the cylinder head and block which will contaminate the new head gasket and lead to a subsequent gasket failure. Even worse, if the fluid can't get out between the bolt/hole threads fast enough, you can actually create tons of pressure in the botttom of the hole, I have seen a cylinder block actually blow the bolt-hole out due this "hydraulic lock" condition. Another ill effect could be that the bolt would get enough resistance to cause the wrench to click, although there would be insufficient clamping of the two parts.
Wish I still had the broken bolt I twisted off about a year ago, 1" diameter fine thread.... It originally torqued to 860 lbs. The bolt was apparently damaged during install and when I tried to remove it, I had to use an 18:1 multiplier and almost didn't get it to break before maxing out the multiplier.. fun fun..

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #43  
OK...I was stubborn and tight about replacing the head bolts.

I will not be a tight ***.

That's my punishwork....10 times. (plus getting to do the job twice)

I put my new head gasket in today. I torqued it down to 60 ft/lb (spec is 57 - 61.5 ft/lb). I set the valve clearance and cranked it up for the 30 minute break in run. After 30 minutes as prescribed I retorqued. All 14 of the head bolts required a small amount of retightening. On bolt 14 it popped like a piece of glass. I had to diaasemble to remove the broken piece from the block.

My advice from here on...replace the head bolts when replacing the head gasket on the CK25.

I ordered a new gasket ($41) and 14 head bolts ($3.80/ea). Will try again soon.

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal and hope you are up and running soon.

Your story reminds me of why I switched career's about 10 years ago.

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #44  
Is that bolt hole near the area that the gasket failed?

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling
There was one bolt closer, but yes it was right near it.

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #46  
I doubt the bolts are all specifically placed. It may not have been the same bolt in the hole.
larry

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #47  
I'd check that the hole is threaded completely, compare them all.

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #48  
I have a DK 45 i am now working on the head is off and there is an alinement pin in the back that was for the head gasket to aline on ( pin is on the block)
but no hole drilled in the head for it the pin was longer than the gasket was thick holding the head up water was heated by leak by intake air leak water bubbling i will let you know how new parts work out
i will b drilling a hole for the pin note tractor is out of warranty or it would be going back this is the second engine issue last time it was the crank this is a replacement motor by the dealer