lb 2204 oil light

/ lb 2204 oil light #1  

10fords

Tractor
kioti lb2204
Hello all- this is my first post and I have a few questions! I am looking at buying a 1987? Kioti lb 2204 from a neighbor. It has 333 hrs according to the meter, so obviously it has sat around a lot. My concerns are as follows: the low oil pressure light stays on at low or higher rpm's and never goes off. It is possible that the wire to the sending unit has been chewed by rodents, but I would think that would not allow the light to come on as it seems that the sending unit grounds at low pressure to complete the circuit and turn on the light? Also I have been unable to locate the oil pressure sending unit. Any clues on where it is?
My other concern is that the added on power steering seems weak and will only turn when moving. If you try to turn while stationary it will only go about half a turn and then not move the tires and lock up the steering wheel. Is this terminal or perhaps just a filter that needs replacing?
Also the loader will not lift the front of the tractor off the ground like the other tractors I have had.
again- is this possibly just a clogged filter? I would test drive it with a load in the bucket but the oil light has me worried so until I address that I don't want to run the engine.
I don't mind repairing some minor things but don't want to get into a money pit. The owner is asking $4500 for it which seems OK, but I don't know anything about Kioti's and availability and pricing of parts so I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me. Thanks-Scott

/ lb 2204 oil light
OK- after some extensive searching I located the oil pressure sending unit but haven't tested it yet. The owner doesn't live where the tractor is at so I have to try and catch them next time they are there. If I decide to pass on it is anyone else interested? It's a 2204lb with a loader, scraper, tiller, and posthole auger setup located in central California.-Scott

/ lb 2204 oil light #3  
$4500 yeah I'd buy it LOL If all the imps are in good condition.
I'm guessing it's never had the hydraulic system filter changed.
The way the 2204 is set up it needs changed often.
If it needs a new hydraulic pump last time I checked they were around $500
Alot of loaders wont lift front off of the ground.
You usually have to use the dump pressure on the loader to pick the front up.
I'd check oil pressure with a real gauge or put a new sender in.

BTI

/ lb 2204 oil light #4  

BTI

I'd just stay away from it ;)

/ lb 2204 oil light

BTI

I tried it with the dump pressure and it still wouldn't lift the wheels. I'm going to check the sending unit and see if it is stuck closed. If I am reading the wiring diagram correctly it grounds out at low pressure to complete the circuit to the dash light?

I don't know if the hyd. filter has ever been changed, but if it has it has been at least 5 or more years ago. Assuming that is the trouble would it likely cure the steering problem?

I didn't even know that the Kioti brand of tractors existed until I happened to see this one at a neighbors property while I was looking at an electrical job for them. I have been halfheartedly looking for a tractor for a while, but I live far away from everything, so I haven't been able to see much. at first I thought it was a Kubota so I was thrilled as I have heard good things about them. So when I figured out it was a Kioti I did some research and they seem to be pretty reliable as well, but not as much info and parts availability. I am OK with that, but I need another project like a hole in the head!(3 kids, stay at home wife, self employed, etc). I was kinda hoping for the "that happens to all of them don't worry about it" or " if it is doing that it's shot so walk away" response to my questions to make my decision easier! As I understand that the Kioti is somewhat of an "orphan" brand I am looking for any input I can get. So, to sum up my questions, does anyone with first hand knowledge of the tractors think with a good servicing of fluids and filters that this would be a usable tractor and a decent deal for $4500 including the implements? Thanks in advance for any input-Scott

/ lb 2204 oil light #6  
From what you've stated I'd walk away unless you can be shown service records and hours at which they were done. Sounds like a project at best and you said you don 't need one, right?
What happens if the worse case scenario happens and the engine is SHOT due to lack of service? Are you ready to deal with that?
Find some other Kiotis of a similar age or newer and compare what is available- just because this one is handy does NOT make it your best bet.
Not trying to bring you down- just attempting to be the voice of reason.
$4,500.00 is a lot of money to throw down on an unknown possible can of worms.

/ lb 2204 oil light #7  
333 hours doesn't seem like much time but does the meter work or was it disconnected. If the owner didn't even do the easy service of a filter change, what else wasn't done that may have hurt the tractor. This would be a tough call without knowing all of what you may be getting into. Maybe only waste the money for a filter, throw it on, and see what happens. I hope it cures the problem but if not, you've just lost a few dollars intead of 4,500. The oil shouldn't be bad with that short time unless it picked up condenstion over the years. Kioti's recommended change interval for my CK30hst is 200 hours for hyd filters and 400 hours for hyd oil with 100 hours for engine oil and filter.

/ lb 2204 oil light #8  
Call dealer and ask on availability of parts not an orphan tractor I've never had an issue with parts bobcat now rebadges and sells kioti's

/ lb 2204 oil light
From what you've stated I'd walk away unless you can be shown service records and hours at which they were done. Sounds like a project at best and you said you don 't need one, right?
What happens if the worse case scenario happens and the engine is SHOT due to lack of service? Are you ready to deal with that?
Find some other Kiotis of a similar age or newer and compare what is available- just because this one is handy does NOT make it your best bet.
Not trying to bring you down- just attempting to be the voice of reason.
$4,500.00 is a lot of money to throw down on an unknown possible can of worms.

Thanks for the honest input. You are correct that the fact that the tractor is close by could be clouding my judgement. As I said before there is nothing close to me, so any tractor I would go to look at means 2 days of lost work ($1000) and only a chance of it being any good.

/ lb 2204 oil light
333 hours doesn't seem like much time but does the meter work or was it disconnected. If the owner didn't even do the easy service of a filter change, what else wasn't done that may have hurt the tractor. This would be a tough call without knowing all of what you may be getting into. Maybe only waste the money for a filter, throw it on, and see what happens. I hope it cures the problem but if not, you've just lost a few dollars intead of 4,500. The oil shouldn't be bad with that short time unless it picked up condenstion over the years. Kioti's recommended change interval for my CK30hst is 200 hours for hyd filters and 400 hours for hyd oil with 100 hours for engine oil and filter.

I think I will put a new filter on (the owner has one) and see what happens. The tractor sat outside for its whole life and was not used at all for the last 3-4 years at least. I believe the maintenance was done as the owners deceased husband seemed to have taken good care of his toys. The oil light problem is the first thing I'm gonna figure out though. Thanks-Scott