Oil & Fuel Front Diff Oil

/ Front Diff Oil #1  

jlsanborn

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20S Gear
Dealer performed my 50hr out of courtesy, less the front axle. When he was here delivering my tractor I asked what to put in there and he said tractor hydraulic oil. I recently got my owner's manual which says gear oil (which I would have guessed). What are the rest of you putting in there?

/ Front Diff Oil #2  
The new oil was hydraulic fluid. I was advised to replace it with 90 weight gear oil at the 50 hours service. So, that's what's in it. So far so good, about 450 hours, second 90 weight change out.

Search here. It's been discuss a bunch. Make sure you get it full.

/ Front Diff Oil #3  
90w as well.

/ Front Diff Oil #4  
I would think tractor hydraulic oil would be too thin. I would stick with the 90w gear oil.

/ Front Diff Oil #5  
My manuals call for UTF, I guess if it is good enough for the tranny and rear it should work in the front differential.

/ Front Diff Oil #6  
80w-90 gear oil. Recheck your oil level after moving the tractor a few hundred yards.

/ Front Diff Oil
Gear oil it is! Thanks all.

/ Front Diff Oil #8  
I would think tractor hydraulic oil would be too thin. I would stick with the 90w gear oil.

UTH is typically in the 30 weight range, 80w-90 is in the 40 weight range. The additives would matter more and the 40C viscosity. Normal use will not generate enough heat to reach the higher 100C viscosity.

40C = 104F
100C = 212F

/ Front Diff Oil #9  
Gear oil with the EP, (extreme pressure), designation offers the highest level of protection. This is also available in a synthetic formulas for a reasonable price.

But, good hydraulic oil also works. That's why the factories are using it.

/ Front Diff Oil #10  
Up here, we use Shell Donax Hydraulic Fluid. There are several small cavities for the front axle fluid to move through. The lighter hydraulic fluid seems to perform better in the colder climates. It doesn't get the benefit of warm-up from the tractor.