Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Wheel Horse 522xi

Default Anti-Freeze Issue or ?

Hi
    I am looking for some advice on what I should be checking for the following on my DK45SE HST:

• A few weeks ago my temp gauge dropped to "no reading".
    • I checked the rad and discovered it was down - approx one quart of 50/50 mix was added
    • No evidence of leaks noted at this point
    • A week or so later the level was down again
    • Add another quart of 50/50
    • This time I notice some wet stains below the in-line plug-in heater
    • Overflow tank is about half full
    • I put a tray under this area and, over the course of a couple of days collected about 1/2 cup of antifreeze
    • Checked clamps at the heater and they were loose - tightened them and once again, topped up the rad.
    • Now it appears that the heater is not working - plugged it in for an hour but could not feel any heat around the outside.
    • I started the tractor and ran it until it got warm - everything seemed normal - temp gauge reads normal.
    • Once back in the barn I let it sit for half a day with the drip tray under the heater
    • No leaks evident now but ..
    • When I remove the rad cap to check levels the antifreeze pushes up the neck of the rad and overflows
    • Back out today - still no evidence of leaks under heater but the overflow tank is almost empty and the antifreeze comes out the top of the rad (probably 2 or 3 tablespoons full) when I take the cap off.
    • Ran it for 30 minutes and it seems to run fine - temp gauge indicates normal - but overflow tank seems to be down a bit more than when I started.
    • No evidence that I can see of antifreeze in the oil

Only 10 hours on the tractor but dealer is 90 minutes away and I do not have a trailer.

Does this sound serious enough to get the dealer to check it right away or are there a few more things I should check and be sure about before I do that?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Bob

Tractor
    Kioti DK35

Default Re: Anti-Freeze Issue or ?

If it's under warrenty have a dealer take a look at it.

It's not worth having a problem and you get blamed for screwing around with the tractor.

Tractor
    JD455 & JD790

Sounds like 3 separate problems.
    1) You took care of the leak with the loose clamps.
    2) The heater is probably bad.
    3) It sounds like your radiator cap isn't functioning properly.
    JD 790 w/70 FEL & 7 BH on turf tires
    JD 455 w/60" MMM & 54" front blade

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Quote Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
    If it's under warrenty have a dealer take a look at it.

It's not worth having a problem and you get blamed for screwing around with the tractor.
    Absolutely, if its under warranty, contact the dealer and advise them of the situation. It could something simple, but it could also be a cylinder head gasket giving up.
    Kubota L4400 GST

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Warranty.
    Call dealer.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20

Sounds like one problem that was fixed to me. Probably some air in the system which is being replaced by the surge (overflow) tank as it cools after use. A little air pressure would push some coolant out when removing the cap. Seems like the cap is working fine too. I would run it a little more letting it warm up good then cool off and see if levels stabilize. The surge tank will normally be a little higher when warm than cold but should go back to a stable cold level when it cools again.

Tractor
    53 Cub, 70's JD 410, Kioti 25hst

Same here. Sounds like it's fixed and full and will stabilize.
    Kioti CK 25 Hydro: box blade, brush hog, rake, roto-till, grapple, bucket forks, de-stump cyl, Wallenstein Chipper
    John Deere 410 Backhoe Loader: 25 hoses ready to blow

Thus by the beneficence of Providence, we shall behold our empire arising, founded on justice and the voluntary consent of the people, and giving full scope to the exercise of those faculties and rights which most ennoble our species.

Samuel Adams

Tractor
    Wheel Horse 522xi

Quote Originally Posted by edameyer View Post
    Sounds like one problem that was fixed to me. Probably some air in the system which is being replaced by the surge (overflow) tank as it cools after use. A little air pressure would push some coolant out when removing the cap. Seems like the cap is working fine too. I would run it a little more letting it warm up good then cool off and see if levels stabilize. The surge tank will normally be a little higher when warm than cold but should go back to a stable cold level when it cools again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jake98 View Post
    Same here. Sounds like it's fixed and full and will stabilize.
    Hopefully you folks are correct. I have used it twice this weekend and everything appears to be back to normal (with the exception of the lower rad hose heater still not working). Have had some correspondence with my dealer over the weekend and he will discuss this situation with his mechanics this morning. Will know more this afternoon and will be happy to report back here - especially if time and usage are the key to getting thing stabilized again.

Thanks for all the comments.
    Bob

Tractor
    DK40SE HST

This is an interesting thread b/c I just noticed my (DK40SE HST) overflow tank/bottle was empty. I added a 50/50 mix and while I was using it the other day, the needle on the temp gauge was on the "C" of the gauge when it is normally b/w the "C" and the "H". Outside temp was around 27F. It is parked in an insulated garage. I have 86 or 87 hours on it. Didn't see anything on the oil dipstick when I pulled and checked it (all oil).

Bob, will be interested to hear how your situation turns out and I'll share anything on my end.

Thanks to all!!

Tractor
    Wheel Horse 522xi

I talked with my dealer's mechanic today and, because I have had two successful runs where everything was normal, we have concluded (as suggested earlier) that there was some kind of air bubble or air lock in the cooling system as a result of the leak around the rad-hose heater. Running it to warm and then shutting down a couple of times seems to have done the trick. (Kinda like "burping' the tractor)

That is the good news.

The heater is still not working though. I checked for power at the heater end of the power cord and it appears fine. Have heard these plugs can be temperamental and have to be fastened to the unit perfectly in order to work. I 'll play with that a little more.

Any advice on how to make sure the connections actually connect and/or how I might test the actual heater would be appreciated.

Thanks folks.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast