Shuttle Shift (Hydraulic clutch) vs. HST

/ Shuttle Shift (Hydraulic clutch) vs. HST #1  

gregfender

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST
Does anyone have experience with the DS line Hyd. clutch shuttle shift? I am wondering how easy it is to use/maintain and how it might compare with the hst. The DS line looks like such a great value, but no hst available.

/ Shuttle Shift (Hydraulic clutch) vs. HST #2  
I would like to know why the DS series has the power shift option and the DK series does not??

/ Shuttle Shift (Hydraulic clutch) vs. HST #3  
The DS has a hydraulic shuttle. It's not made to go from forward to reverse in one shot like a powershuttle. It's rather forward, neutral, than reverse. You still have to use the clutch to shift through the gears. I have road tested a DS4510HS, looks like a good machine, but remember, it's an economic model, so its pretty strait forward, not as refined as the CK or DK line. Also it doesn't have a middle range, i find there's a good gap between 4L ad 1H. Just my $0.02.;)

/ Shuttle Shift (Hydraulic clutch) vs. HST #4  
Interesting, then what is the advantage of a hydraulic shuttle, if you still need to hit neutral. Sounds like one more thing to leak internally over time. Why have hydro over manual of it's not a hydraulic reverser?

I had hydraulic reverser in my dozer and that was the cat's meow, until I had to rebuild it.

Did have over 2000 hours though.

Joel

/ Shuttle Shift (Hydraulic clutch) vs. HST #5  
After two weeks of slashing up and down slopes with my DS4510HS I am beginning to appreciate the convenience of the hydraulic shuttle. At first I was using the foot clutch (out of habit) but am now in the swing of just putting the shuttle into neutral, tap the foot brake to and then shuttle into opposite direction.

I wasn't sure if I wanted it and could probably survive without it, however after 14 years with a Kubota B7100 manual gearbox, the hydraulic shuttle is convenient.

/ Shuttle Shift (Hydraulic clutch) vs. HST #6  
The nice thing is that the HS option only adds a few hundred dollars to the price. Could be a help to those with some imparement on left leg. you can put in neutral, shift and put back into F or R without using the clutch pedal. Its a simple devise, hydraulicly releases the clutch when you start to move the lever. Mercedes used it in the 1950s, VW up into the 70s. touch the gear shift and the clutch releases, let go and it engages, its not quite the same on the tractor, but similar.