Loader CK 20s and round bales

/ CK 20s and round bales #1  

dengar256

Tractor
kioti CK20S
I have a CK 20s and love it. I have a question about loading (FEL or 3 point). This summer I am looking at getting a couple of beef cattle and will most likely be feeding them round bales this winter. My guess is the the FEL on my CK 20s won't be able to handle the weight but I was wondering if I could put on a spear on the 3 point and work that way. Or could I get the farmer who will do the work for me make the bales "small tractor friendly"? My other option is to "encourage" my father-in-law to keep his CK 30 in my new shed for the winter (assuming I find the time to build it this summer).

I think I saw a thread on this a while back but could not find it so sorry if this is a re-post.

Thanks for the help.

/ CK 20s and round bales #2  
CK 20 and round bales won't be a safe combination. Also, a good way to mess up the hydraulics on the tractor. Ken Sweet

/ CK 20s and round bales #3  
The 3pt capacity is listed as 1300 pounds so I don't see why small rounds won't work.

If you could get big squares made would be better yet.

/ CK 20s and round bales #4  
The 3pt capacity is listed as 1300 pounds so I don't see why small rounds won't work.

If you could get big squares made would be better yet.

From Specs, You could theoretically lift the round bales, you would just be unsafe and also break the tractor. We sold those exact tractors for several years. Ken Sweet

/ CK 20s and round bales #5  
From Specs, You could theoretically lift the round bales, you would just be unsafe and also break the tractor. We sold those exact tractors for several years. Ken Sweet

The rated lift capicity will break the tractor? If so I guess they are some real POS.

Last edited:
   / CK 20s and round bales #6  
The rated lift capicity will break the tractor? If so I guess thet are some real POS.

The main problem is the narrow track width of the tractor. Makes for VERY unstable tractor with a 1300 lb round bale on the front or back. Ken Sweet

/ CK 20s and round bales #7  
You could do it IF you kept your bales small. I would not push my luck.

/ CK 20s and round bales #8  
The main problem is the narrow track width of the tractor. Makes for VERY unstable tractor with a 1300 lb round bale on the front or back. Ken Sweet

So what is the problem that they are unstable or it will break the tractor?

I wouldn't suggest a 1300 pounder anyway. I am thinking something like an 800 pounder. That is why I suggested squares, can be made smaller yet and kept closer to the tractor.

/ CK 20s and round bales #9  
I used to move 500lb ish rounds with a wee tiny Allis Chalmers 616. It was not easy to lift them, but once I did it was fine. Then I'd tip the bale feeder on its side, drop the bale beside it and push the feeder over it. Worked fine for years.

Just don't get over-confident because before you know it you can be doing the old "oh ya, I can do that" and things get busted.

/ CK 20s and round bales #10  
So what is the problem that they are unstable or it will break the tractor?

I wouldn't suggest a 1300 pounder anyway. I am thinking something like an 800 pounder. That is why I suggested squares, can be made smaller yet and kept closer to the tractor.

When the tractor turns over, then it breaks. Ken Sweet