CK20 Compression release.

/ CK20 Compression release. #1  

slantram

Tractor
Kioti CK20 gear / Kioti FEL 50
I don't like starting my CK20 and waiting for the oil pressure to come up AFTER it starts.So I thought I'd use the Release and hold the emergency shut off knob Out and crank it till the oil light goes out. Then start it. Is this the right way of doing this? Or is there a better way? Thanks for any input. slantram

/ CK20 Compression release. #2  
How old is the tractor?
I don't have an oil pressure gauge or a compression relief valve on my 2006 model CK20HST.

To answer your question, I wouldn't worry about the couple of seconds of low oil pressure when you first start the tractor. Unless it's been sitting for months, there is still plenty of that thick oil on the walls and crank. Holding the emergency shut off and cranking the engine is still turning the internals without building oil pressure so it's not making much difference...

/ CK20 Compression release.
DMACE,My tractor is a 2006 and at the back of the valve cover there is a lever which is a comp release. And I don't have a gauge- just the Idiot Light.The tractor does sit through the Winter so that's why this is a concern for me. And apparently there is NO anti drainback valve in the oil filter so the filter is empty of oil. It has to run for maybe 5 seconds with NO lubrication at all. That is why I'm concerned about this. Thanks for your response. slantram.

/ CK20 Compression release. #4  
Is is not practical for you to start and run it for 5 minutes or til temp gauge comes up once every 2 weeks?

When we don't have snow I habitually fire up the Kioti every other weekend just to get all of the fluids flowing through her veins -- usually on Saturday after I know the USPS has dropped the mail in the centralized mail at the end of the street. Taking the Kioti beats walking in the cold :D When we have a lot of trash to take to the curb, I can stack many bags in the bucket and on the loader arms so one trip -- long driveway. Other times I tow the kids' sleds around or just take 'em for a ride. I saw a thread on TBN about "ridiculous uses of tractors" and many guys admit to the mail fetch and trash run routine! I don't ever want to grow up!

/ CK20 Compression release. #5  
That procedure will work... I'm with you, I do NOT like starting an engine without lubrication on the bottom end. Although components are still turning, atleast there arent combustion cycles hammering on the rod and main bearings that have little to no oil film. FWIW, I would spend some time and source a better quality oil filter that has an internal anti-siphon valve.

/ CK20 Compression release.
I'm using the Kioti filter. Anyone here use a Better filter? Thanks. slantram

/ CK20 Compression release. #7  
I'm using a NAPA filter, they have a listing for the engine, air and fuel filter. My CK20hst is a 2007 with just over 350 hrs. I just bought it with 335 hrs on it. My oil pressure light generally goes out during cranking during start.