CK30 HST 3-Point PHD Operation Help

/ CK30 HST 3-Point PHD Operation Help #1  

BSVLY

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
I am almost done installing the SPEECO Model 65 PHD with a 12" auger on the Kioti CK30 HST. Bought the PHD new with the tractor a year ago-but it was knocked down and I had to assemble it. Some of the hardware was apparently missing-so SPEECO is sending a kit. Seems like a good company.

Getting ready to continue with fence project and want to drill some holes for planting some trees. It will be nice to use the SPEECO.

First Off- I am fully aware of how dangerous a PTO driven PHD is. Have plenty of respect for the machine. I have read-up on this forum and the saftey threads etc. I have used a PHD/Auger on a neighbors manual gear drive tractor a few years back- so I have "some experience".

What I'd like to know is- what is the proper procedure for operating the PTO and this auger specific to the CK30 HST please? Reading the Kioti manual is just not cutting it. I'd like info on throttle settings, the sequence of pushing and pulling the levers, pedals etc. Is there someone on the board that has a similar rig that can give me step-by-step instructions? Thanks in advance for any help on the safe and proper operation of this implement.

/ CK30 HST 3-Point PHD Operation Help #2  
I have used a PHD many times on my DK45. We always run ours at a very low RPM in case it grabs a large root. Our soil here (Arkansas) is a sandy loam then red clay. The auger will do all the work. I will sometimes have to lift it from the hole to help evacuate the dirt/clay. As for the danger, I have a cousin missing a leg from using an auger. His pants leg caught on the PTO shaft. Just stay away from it while it's working. Use the MANUAL PTO switch so that you don't inadvertently lower the 3PT lift and it engages while someone is too close. It's helpful to have someone on the ground to help eyeball the vertical position. Hope this helps.

/ CK30 HST 3-Point PHD Operation Help #3  
I've done alot of holes with my CK30 HST and can't believe how easy it has been. As mentioned above it's alot easier if you have someone else to keep an eye on the level. Just keep your foot on the clutch pedal when you're digging. I would position the tractor, drop the auger point on my mark, level the auger and engage the PTO. I would keep it turning if I was clearing the hole by lifting the auger as long as you don't pull it all the way out. The 12" auger I was using cut like butter, even in our clay. Just make sure eveyone is clear before you engage the PTO.

/ CK30 HST 3-Point PHD Operation Help #4  
You guys are lucky that you do not have rocky soil as we do in New England. If you do not lift the PHD every four or five inches, it will grab between a couple of rocks or tree roots and screw itself into the ground. There is no reverse on those things. Somewhere on here there is a thread about a guy who spent two hours digging his PHD out the ground. However, if it does screw itself into the ground, it has been suggested that you take a big pipe wrench and turn the thing backwards and it will unscrew itself- may take awhile, but beats digging it out.

/ CK30 HST 3-Point PHD Operation Help
Thanks for the info so far. The soil where we live is sandy loam with just a tad bit of clay in scattered deposits. There is a firm crust around 9 inches deep and once you break through that-the digging is unobstructed. No rocks really. When they drilled the well, they drilled down 200 feet and did not hit a rock bigger than your thumbnail! We are located atop an ancient lakebed at 5000' in a mountain valley and the overburden is hundreds of feet thick.

Is this method right then?

1) Position Tractor
2) Place in neutral
3) Set Brake-Chock tires too?
4) Lower Auger tip to ground
5) Depress clutch
6) Engage PTO into 540 RPM Position
7) Set Throttle (How many RPM?)
8) Start drilling and lower 3-Pt lever all the way down-monitor drilling
9) Increase RPM to clear hole- do not raise auger out . Finish hole.
10) Disengage PTO (depress clutch, PTO lever back to off)
11) Raise auger out of hole

I've even seen some video demos where the tractor is moved forward as the hole is drilled in order to maintain a verticle hole. Is this a good practice or required?

As you can see-I really want the details here.

Thanks

/ CK30 HST 3-Point PHD Operation Help #6  
I believe your RPM gauge will have a yellow arrow pointer showing 540 PTO position on the dial- (around 2500+ RPMs).
You should be near that RPM to get 540 at the PTO shaft.
Make sure to have all PTO shaft guards on and chained as per specifications with the particular item in use.

/ CK30 HST 3-Point PHD Operation Help #7  
I believe your RPM gauge will have a yellow arrow pointer showing 540 PTO position on the dial- (around 2500+ RPMs).
You should be near that RPM to get 540 at the PTO shaft.
Make sure to have all PTO shaft guards on and chained as per specifications with the particular item in use.

NO!
Post hole diggers are ment to be ran at little more than a idle!
One other thing. once the point is set where you would like to drill, move the tractor ahead aprox 3" as the auger works into the ground, the angle will straighten due to pivioting action of boom.

/ CK30 HST 3-Point PHD Operation Help #9  
NO!
Post hole diggers are ment to be ran at little more than a idle!
One other thing. once the point is set where you would like to drill, move the tractor ahead aprox 3" as the auger works into the ground, the angle will straighten due to pivioting action of boom.

OP asked: "6) Engage PTO into 540 RPM Position". I replied as to where the 540 mark is on the RPM gauge and how many RPMS = 540 at PTO shaft. I did NOT tell the OP to run a PHD at that speed. Ease up.

/ CK30 HST 3-Point PHD Operation Help #10  
OP asked: "6) Engage PTO into 540 RPM Position". I replied as to where the 540 mark is on the RPM gauge and how many RPMS = 540 at PTO shaft. I did NOT tell the OP to run a PHD at that speed. Ease up.

While what you say is true, I too, took your post as saying to run the PTO at 540 RPM. Other wise why even bother posting what you posted? :confused: