50 hour service

/ 50 hour service #1  

carhartt56

Bronze Member
Tractor
KIOTI DK40SE
First of all , the three things that helped the most were the chain wrench for the hydralic filter , the big drip pan , and the fill jug that Holds one gallon for filling the hyd oil . I spent about 4.5 hours total and still need to check clutch and brake free play . Maybe one night this week ! I thought most drain plugs I removed where not very tight for my comfort . I had problems draining the front axle . left side drained quik , but right side was slow the hole way , and I never got the almost 2 gallons drained that should have been in the front axle .(half hour draining) I had the plugs open for venting and also rocked the tractor back and forth . Anyone else had this problem ? I also could not find the two grease fittings labeled (power steering cylinder) page 7-19 in owners maual . Have they been eliminated ?
Overall comments on the tractor at 50 hours are good , but I will wait for at least 100 hours and write a review. I will say the shifting has become smother and seems to have more power . With the new hyd. fluid ( shell Donax ) the brakes seem to be stronger also . Only flaw so far is the shuttle shift could be taller , a little hard to reach , but I am 6'1" . Thanks in advance !

Dk40SE SS

Attachments

• march 12 2011 006.jpg
    march 12 2011 006.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 227
   / 50 hour service #2  
RE: any drain plug. Dealer told me just snug enough or risk stripping out the pan's threads!

/ 50 hour service #3  
At 24 hrs I'm 1/2 way along to the 50 hr service.

I checked my DK35 HST which I believe is the same frame as the DK40. Like yours it does not have grease fittings for the Power Steering Cylinder noted on Page 7-19.

While checking for those grease fittings I took the opportunity to remove the front axle oil level check plug as I could not see the oil in the little window (the level was fine). As carhartt mentioned I also found it easy to remove and was careful to reinstall it with what I hope was similar torque.

/ 50 hour service #4  
What I found most worth while - I think it was 25 bucks - was the 5 gallon pail lid pump for the hydro fluid. If you don't mind hand crank it was definitely a time saver from the dip and pour I would have been doing. I just did my 100 hour too. Well most of it - I kinda combined a 50 and 100. All filters and fluids - except engine coolant - will do that soon. Need to check greasing and all the levers and latches yet too. But so far no issues so I will do that first warm day.

I did buy a multisize pack of grease fittings - probably want to do that next time you are at the supply store. Broke a couple of those with the greaser - nothing a quick easy out and reinstall doesn't fix - but nice to have em on hand. That is probably the second best thing I purchased - a decent air compressor driven grease gun... and the extra 10 bucks for the flex hose nozzle. I can grease the whole beast now in just about 15 minutes.

So far happy as a pig in proverbial poo - hope yours is treating you as well.

My only peeve so far is the pin bolts on the FEL and the backhoe. Seems those things loosen and disappear in less than an hour of stump digging. If anyone has any ideas for better replacements for the small cross pins that hold in the main pins on the FEL/BH please share! I bought the multi-pak of those too thinking I was supplied for life - and I think I might have been better off buying stock in cotter/hitch/cross pin makers.

If you have the Kioti FEL - keep an eye on them. I thought it was the dealer install the first time - but now I'm not so sure. I have a Woods backhoe that seems to have the same penchant. Either that or I am rougher on the beastie than I thought.

Cheers

/ 50 hour service #5  
Oh yeah meant to ask - do you get any hydro whine with your new fluid? Seems mine whines like a whipped dog now that I changed and I cant figure anything else out with it. I did use the all purpose - which seemed to be the best available at my local TSC - so maybe I should seek out the Shell stuff...

/ 50 hour service
Thanks Kco and Tabacaman ! Its good to confirm those grease fittings are not there and that I did not miss them . I will definatly look for a 5 gallon bucket hand pump for the next hyd service . My Dk40 is a shuttle shift so I dont have the hydro wine . So many members here with good Ideas and answers . Thanks

/ 50 hour service #7  
On the tip of your grease gun fitting you may notice a knurled area on the very tip. It is knurled so that you may twist it to loose it with your thumb and forefinger. If you twist it counterclockwise it should loosen and that will make the fit on the grease zerks very loose. if you tighten it, it will be very tight. I often loosen it to slip over the zerk very easily, then tighten it a little while on the zerk to stay on by itself, pump in the grease, and then loosen it to easily remove. If you cannot get it to twist to loosen, take a pair of pliers or 2 pair of pliers to hold both sections of the tip.

James K0UA

What I found most worth while - I think it was 25 bucks - was the 5 gallon pail lid pump for the hydro fluid. If you don't mind hand crank it was definitely a time saver from the dip and pour I would have been doing. I just did my 100 hour too. Well most of it - I kinda combined a 50 and 100. All filters and fluids - except engine coolant - will do that soon. Need to check greasing and all the levers and latches yet too. But so far no issues so I will do that first warm day.

I did buy a multisize pack of grease fittings - probably want to do that next time you are at the supply store. Broke a couple of those with the greaser - nothing a quick easy out and reinstall doesn't fix - but nice to have em on hand. That is probably the second best thing I purchased - a decent air compressor driven grease gun... and the extra 10 bucks for the flex hose nozzle. I can grease the whole beast now in just about 15 minutes.

So far happy as a pig in proverbial poo - hope yours is treating you as well.

My only peeve so far is the pin bolts on the FEL and the backhoe. Seems those things loosen and disappear in less than an hour of stump digging. If anyone has any ideas for better replacements for the small cross pins that hold in the main pins on the FEL/BH please share! I bought the multi-pak of those too thinking I was supplied for life - and I think I might have been better off buying stock in cotter/hitch/cross pin makers.

If you have the Kioti FEL - keep an eye on them. I thought it was the dealer install the first time - but now I'm not so sure. I have a Woods backhoe that seems to have the same penchant. Either that or I am rougher on the beastie than I thought.

Cheers

Tabacman: I quoted a post from another thread (can't figure out how to link to the thread) giving information on adjusting the grease gun tip to make it easier to get on/off the zerk. I can't believe I've gone this long without knowing that!

Also, what "small cross pins" are you referring to on the FEL? The only ones I see on my loader are small pins that hold up the legs that support the loader if you remove it from the tractor. I can see where they are vulnerable.

I can't use those pins for the legs on my KL351 loader. The holes are too tight for the pins and I had to use a temporary, smaller bolt when I removed the loader. I'll ask the dealer about that.

Other cross pins for hydraulic cylinders, etc, are secured with plates bolted to the frame.

/ 50 hour service #8  
Take your time; it would not hurt to look at the 100 or 500 hour check just to be sure that nothing was missed by the dealer. Also check the nuts and bolts with a torque wrench, particularly the wheel lugs.

/ 50 hour service #9  
Also, check the bolts that hold the piviot pin's in the FEL. I think there is about 5 or 6 of them on each side of FEL arms... I'm talking about the piviot pins for the bucket .. not the larger ones toward the back of the FEL arms. I lost one of the bolts on my DK40SE before I tightened them all.

Tractor on

/ 50 hour service #10  
Oh yeah meant to ask - do you get any hydro whine with your new fluid? Seems mine whines like a whipped dog now that I changed and I cant figure anything else out with it. I did use the all purpose - which seemed to be the best available at my local TSC - so maybe I should seek out the Shell stuff...

Suggest you change the Hydro Fluid. We use the Shell Donax, and have excellent results with the Hydros. The tractor is talking to you...good idea to listen. Also make sure you changed and used the KIOTI Hydrostat filter. It's expensive, but worth the $$'s.