Cracked KB2485 Sub-frame AGAIN!

/ Cracked KB2485 Sub-frame AGAIN! #1  

invictive

Tractor
CK30
Hi guys,

I have a CK30 tractor with a KB2485 Backhoe. I've had the backhoe for about 2 years now, and the tractor for 3.

Last fall I cracked the subframe on the bh where the 2 pieces join (2x4x1/4 welded to top of another 2x4x1/4) looking at the crack it seemed quite rusty so I thought it had probably been there for a while (bad weld?). Kioti of course refused to do anything about it since it was just out of the 1 year warranty period. I had my dealer weld 1/4" steel plates to either side and that seemed to do the trick.

Now a few months later the subframe has cracked again, this time where the diagonal bracing bolts on. It has cracked all the way through the middle of the bolt and the triangular hole to access the bolt.

This time I think I am going to have to replace the whole frame and I doubt Kioti is going to help me out.

I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this issue? The mechanic at my dealer said he thought he had heard of this happening to a few people. It seems like a design flaw to me. Not only are there 2 separate pieces welded together (why not just take the 2x4 all the way through?) but why would you cut away one side of the 2x4 to allow access to a bolt? For a machine that is so beefy it seems silly to then fill it full of holes.

Any ideas/thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

/ Cracked KB2485 Sub-frame AGAIN! #2  
Time to weld it up so it has the strength it needs, and overcome the poor design.

/ Cracked KB2485 Sub-frame AGAIN! #3  
The KIOTI Equipment lists do not show the KB2485 Backhoe on the CK30 subframe. We know they fit...but they are not listed as compatible by KIOTI Tractor. You may have had a warranty issue even during the original warranty period.

/ Cracked KB2485 Sub-frame AGAIN! #4  
Hi guys,

I have a CK30 tractor with a KB2485 Backhoe. I've had the backhoe for about 2 years now, and the tractor for 3.

Last fall I cracked the subframe on the bh where the 2 pieces join (2x4x1/4 welded to top of another 2x4x1/4) looking at the crack it seemed quite rusty so I thought it had probably been there for a while (bad weld?). Kioti of course refused to do anything about it since it was just out of the 1 year warranty period. I had my dealer weld 1/4" steel plates to either side and that seemed to do the trick.

Now a few months later the subframe has cracked again, this time where the diagonal bracing bolts on. It has cracked all the way through the middle of the bolt and the triangular hole to access the bolt.

This time I think I am going to have to replace the whole frame and I doubt Kioti is going to help me out.

I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this issue? The mechanic at my dealer said he thought he had heard of this happening to a few people. It seems like a design flaw to me. Not only are there 2 separate pieces welded together (why not just take the 2x4 all the way through?) but why would you cut away one side of the 2x4 to allow access to a bolt? For a machine that is so beefy it seems silly to then fill it full of holes.

Any ideas/thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

I saw this on a tractor/hoe at the dealers' awhile back - my solution would be to weld the cracks back up from both sides and grind smooth then cut a sleeve of heavy wall tubing with ID large enough for the bolt to pass through and long enough to reach from the back-inside of the mount tubing to 3/8" or so (depends on the thickness of the access-hole patch plate*; see below) beyond the surface of the tubing at the access point- place the sleeve over the hole on the inside of the mount and center and clamp with a longer bolt then weld all around it to the backside of the mount tubing. Cut a plate* that will cover the access hole and drill a hole large enough for the tubing to pass though - clamp the plate* to the mount tubing and weld to the tubing and the sleeve - use a longer bolt to pass through the brace and mount tubing.

/ Cracked KB2485 Sub-frame AGAIN! #5  
I have the same problem :mad: with my backhoe

backhoe1.jpg

backhoe2.jpg

backhoe3.jpg

/ Cracked KB2485 Sub-frame AGAIN! #6  
I have the same problem :mad: with my backhoe

Thx for posting those pix, SLY.

Your evidence supports my considered opinion that the factory Kioti
subframes (the low-mounted ladder style) flex too much unless a toplink
is used. Kioti provides the toplink hole, but some at Kioti say you don't
need it. Some at Kioti say to use it, however.

Flex leads to metal fatigue, like you have.

/ Cracked KB2485 Sub-frame AGAIN! #7  
By the looks of the gussets, the weak spot is exactly where you'd think. Might be preventable if the horizontal/vertical gussets overlapped instead of ending where it's breaking.

/ Cracked KB2485 Sub-frame AGAIN! #8  
Ouch! That was one of my concerns with Kioti's BH design. Like others, I suggest a good welder and beef it up.

/ Cracked KB2485 Sub-frame AGAIN! #9  
Ouch! That was one of my concerns with Kioti's BH design. Like others, I suggest a good welder and beef it up.

I would like to see koiti make the sub frame design like club cadet yanmar or deere, the sub frame runs along the side, an bolted on. Also puts the backhoe closer to the tractor.:thumbsup:

/ Cracked KB2485 Sub-frame AGAIN! #10  
You will definatly have to brace and beef this up-also, look for other potential week spots because once you beef this up, the next weekest link will most likely crack as well.