Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg?

/ Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #11  
I'm an off-road fuel user. Saves me 40 cents a gallon but the big deal is that I store a 55 gallon barrel of it at home. The convenience of bulk fuel is a great. I would use the bulk fuel even if I didn't save the 40 cents.

I add PS at every fill. I don't add PS to the bulk tank.

55 gallon barrels are free from tractor shops. Rotary barrel pump was 11$ from harbor freight. My first off-road fillup saved me enough money to recoup almost 200% of my investment.

/ Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #12  
I may look into one of those drums myself, I didn't realize they were that cheap! My neighbor has one and he's let me fill up a couple of times, but he owns a small subdivision, near by, and keeps a renovated chicken house full of bobcats excavation, and lawn equipment, that is where the pump is, so I've always assumed that's why he installed it .lol

/ Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #13  
From my limited understanding. the dye makes the diesel more susceptible to algae (esp in heat) growth. I used to have two 55gal barrels which would take me over a year to go through. Now I just buy 20 gal of offroad at a time. All the algae did for me is require me to replace my fuel filters on a much more regular basis but once I looked at the fuel side by side I decided to change my methods before it clogged something else.

/ Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #14  
I do not believe that what you say is true. The dye has nothing to do with algae growth. That would be silly since most dyed fuel is home heating oil and it is expected to sit in those tanks long term. Would be a great question for the fuel forum with all of those serious experts.

/ Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #15  
Off road just has a coloration so authorities can make sure it's being used appropriately (there's no tax on it, or at least not the same tax).
1*It's still just diesel.
1*I'd say it like this .
I's still the same diesel.

2*In our area, the off road is high sulfur.
3*Its OK to use but last year I started using road fuel to get rid of the sulfur.
4*My Kubota service manual allows me to double my oil change interval when I'm using road fuel.
5*It's more expensive.
6* but I'm not a huge hours per year guy so I decided to spoil my engines.
2*How can that be when they don't make it any more?
3*The sulfur was gone last year.
4*That was before they did away with high sulfur back in 2010.
5*Un do taxes are expensive.
6*You aren't spoiling anything , you're simply paying a tax you don't owe.

7*As of July 1, 2010 all fuel refineries in the U S were mandated by federal law to only produce ultra-low sulphur fuel, off road or regular .
7*I don't like the terms off road or on road as it leads to people thinking there are 2 kinds or types of fuel when in fact there is only 1.
On road / off road is referring to where the fuel is used and has nothing to do with what kind / type of fuel it is.

8*Correct..it is all the same except for the red dye and a 30 cents a gallon price difference.
9*So now SS which one do you like better:D?
8*Exactly
9* The less it cost the better.
All I have ever run in my tractors is off road fuel.
I spend enough on fuel already.
1O*No sense in me paying the extra $ for road use tax.
10*Especially when ya hain't usin it on the road .

Thanks all. I think I'm goin to just run watever i can get my hands on at the time. Depending where i'm working that day when i need it.
11*Not many stations around here have the off road.
12*They want almost 800 bucks to give me a 300 gal. tank w/ rotary pump, set it up
13* So i'm looking at other options now.
11*we got one here but we have 2 fuel suppliers .
Talk to them in your area.
12*

I got about 400 bucks in this whole rig. which includes a 12 volt pump .
13*AT 15 to 20 dollars per drum you can build yourself a far better nicer set up for way under 800 dollars.
I'm an off-road fuel user. Saves me 40 cents a gallon but
14*the big deal is that I store a 55 gallon barrel of it at home.
15*55 gallon barrels are free from tractor shops.
14*

15*I made money on these drums .
Bought a bunch of them at a give away price and sold the extras i ditn't need at a profit .
16*From my limited understanding. the dye makes the diesel more susceptible to algae (esp in heat) growth.
I used to have two 55gal barrels which would take me over a year to go through. Now I just buy 20 gal of offroad at a time.
17*All the algae did for me is require me to replace my fuel filters on a much more regular basis but once I looked at the fuel side by side I decided to change my methods before it clogged something else.
16*The dye has nothing to do with that.
17*I filter all my fuel so that is not a problem for me.

18*I do not believe that what you say is true.
19*The dye has nothing to do with algae growth.
20*That would be silly since most dyed fuel is home heating oil and it is expected to sit in those tanks long term.
18*I can't swallow that one either.
19*Exactly.
20*It sure Would be!

Last edited:
   / Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #16  
All I have ever run in my tractors is offroad fuel.
I spend enough on fuel already. No sence me paying the extra $ for road use tax.

Have you checked around? For the last 9 months it's actually been cheaper for me to get NON-DYED (taxed) fuel than be robbed by the distributors in my area. Unless you're buying 1500 gallons or more, even though they dye the fuel and pay no road tax the gougers charge MORE than what I can buy on road fuel!! In 30 years of having a fuel tank on the farm I've never seen such! I refuse to be robbed by my distributors. I have 2 110 gallon tanks that I put in the back of my dually and just make a couple trips filling both of those tanks with on road diesel. It costs less and now I have the option of filling my pickup at home.

Current example; yesterday the least expensive quote for 500 gallons of #2 off road diesel was $4.09 and, although it cost me about 2 hours of my time, I bought 440 gallons of on road diesel for $3.82 per gallon. I'm pretty sure that IN charges pretty close to 40 cents for road tax. Our distributors should be wearing masks!

/ Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #17  
Have you checked around? For the last 9 months it's actually been cheaper for me to get NON-DYED (taxed) fuel than be robbed by the distributors in my area. Unless you're buying 1500 gallons or more, even though they dye the fuel and pay no road tax the gougers charge MORE than what I can buy on road fuel!! In 30 years of having a fuel tank on the farm I've never seen such! I refuse to be robbed by my distributors. I have 2 110 gallon tanks that I put in the back of my dually and just make a couple trips filling both of those tanks with on road diesel. It costs less and now I have the option of filling my pickup at home.

Current example; yesterday the least expensive quote for 500 gallons of #2 off road diesel was $4.09 and, although it cost me about 2 hours of my time, I bought 440 gallons of on road diesel for $3.82 per gallon. I'm pretty sure that IN charges pretty close to 40 cents for road tax. Our distributors should be wearing masks!

To contrast, the last time I filled my offraod tank was two weeks ago. I got an especially good deal at 3.58 per gallon for dyed when the on-raod fuel that same day was at 4.38. An 80 cent savings per gallon times 50 gallons.

Our fuel distributor changes prices daily to track the wholesale cost. Gas stations don't do that and I believe that they are more likely to keep their prices higher longer since they filled their bulk tank at the high price.

/ Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #18  
To contrast, the last time I filled my offraod tank was two weeks ago. I got an especially good deal at 3.58 per gallon for dyed when the on-raod fuel that same day was at 4.38. An 80 cent savings per gallon times 50 gallons.

Our fuel distributor changes prices daily to track the wholesale cost. Gas stations don't do that and I believe that they are more likely to keep their prices higher longer since they filled their bulk tank at the high price.

That's the way it always used to be for me; a huge savings for dyed fuel. Other than price gouging, how can someone explain how I can buy taxed diesel for a considerable amount less per gallon than off road. Another difference is the amount of fuel. Unless you are buying at least 250 gallons of off road, they won't even give you a price. They just tell you to go fill your cans at a gas station. The fuel tank in my pickup is 44 gallons. My excavator, track loader and tractor all are close to 50 gallons as well. I suppose that's why I've never seen anyone around here using a small 50 or 55 gallon barrel for off road. Unless you had a farmer who would sell you some from his tank, it would pretty well be useless in this area. I guess the distributors look at people like me that way when we have less than 1500 gallon tanks; too small to mess with filling. I still think my distributors should wear a mask when they rob you.

/ Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #19  
I investigated the off-road fuel in my area and was quite disappointed. I don't burn enough to justify a 500 gallon delivery and the closest pickup point for me is about 25 miles away in a direction I don't travel in my normal course of business, so it is a dedicated extra trip for me to go buy 10 gallons of fuel.

Sure I save 40 cents per gallon in tax, but the base rate is usually 5-10 cents higher than my normal retail stations and then they hit me with a retail surcharge of 15 cents a gallon!! :shocked:

After my travel expense and unexpected additional fuel fees, I spent nearly 12 cents MORE per gallon than I would have by simply buying a couple jugs of diesel when I stopped to fill my car with gas.

I will subsidize the roads with unearned tax payments to save a few dollars per fill at a retail pump over the off-road fuel at my local distributor.

/ Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #20  
At least you did the math, your math will change of course when you increase your fuel purchase to a 55 gallon drum. Our distributor won't even let you fill anything other than a barrel or tank, no cans. I call on the phone and ask for "today's retail price" and they don't know if I'm buying 1000 or 50 gallons.

I would NOT pay more for off-road than on-road. That is gouging and someone is taking extra on that deal. That's why I call. Prices will change tomorrow. I would fill jerry cans with taxed fuel until the dyed fuel becomes cheaper again which it will, or should.

It's not just about saving on fuel cost, it is also hugely convenient to make a large fuel purchase and fill your tractor 5 gallons at a time without having to mess with jerry cans or going to the fuel station for that. Even if I had to buy road fuel, I would still use it to fill the barrel.