CK35 vs CK35HST

/ CK35 vs CK35HST #1  

YANKEEDOWNUNDER

HI: I'm new here,an American living in Australia where Kioti's are Daedongs made in Daegu,Korea. Company has sold tractors here for 10 years now.

I'm 74 live on 90 heavily forested acres which has a 10 acres 150yds by 80 yds overhead power line are which needs brushhogging (slashing here)3-4 times a year.Property has 3 miles of fencing which I must "slash" 5 yards from fenceline as required and about 1 miles of trails to maintain.We have a State Voluntary Conservation Agreement on all of the property which makes it TAX FREE forever,whatever that means-next election maybe.

I presently have a Ford 2000 and an International B414 both of which are fine but I'm not and have difficulty with two wheel drive and no power steering now.
Prices here are TERRIBLE even at equal dollar value. I am looking at the CK30's and like the HST model as it has less levers thus more space and like R-4 tires which are very new here. Cost with a 60" FEL here is-are you ready?
$29,000.00 for the Manual and $31,000.00 for the HST. Dealer will give me $12,000.00 for the above two tractors-one which has and old 4 foot slasher towards the purchase.I have a new slasher.
Finally,some say the HST is better when using the FEL the less weight is no big problem so what's the viewpoint of those reading this story. What are my options. Looked at the CK22HST but seems underpowered for what I needI also sometimes get into areas that have unseen stumps and that worries me.
Thanks for any assistance. TEAMMEMBER

/ CK35 vs CK35HST #2  
Hydro is the best thing since sliced bread for loader work, and for mowing if it requires precision. Gear is probably best for plowing. Hydro has the advantage of being able to not only change direction nearly instantly but also vary your ground speed nearly infinitely. Nothing better. If you are mowing in a field, and going in a straight line all the time. it doesnt matter. but if you are mowing around things, and backing up all the time, hydro is so much better it not even funny.

James K0UA

/ CK35 vs CK35HST
WOW kOua! You replied instantly and most positively indeed. No mowing,have a JD X300 for that .It will only be used as described with additional slashing of grass and tree branches in the accessible forested areas near the house.Should I put water in the tires? They often do that here.

/ CK35 vs CK35HST #4  
For additional stability on hills and also a help for the loader operation, yes. Fill the tires. I am using RV anti-freeze (propylene glycol non toxic antifreeze) in my rear tires. some in our southern states use just water, but some are concerned about rust with just water. A lot of people use Rimguard (beet processing by product) as it is supposedly non corrosive, and non toxic. In my opinion you need loaded tires, and weight on the 3pt hitch for maximum safety and lift ability for the loader. (keeping the rear tires on the ground) the loaded tires help when the 3pt is occupied with a rotary cutter doing your slashing duties. My 2 cents, others may have other opinions.

James K0UA

/ CK35 vs CK35HST #5  
I agree with much of the above posts. A lot of loader work with direction changes, or mowing duties, the HST will shine. Especially if you don't want to mess with a lever.

I have a CK30 gear and it has been a beast, doing everything I ever wanted it to do. I don't mind shifting between forward/reverse. I wanted the gear though for my own reasons and because I'm a bit old school when it comes to equipment. I also have the Rim guarded rear tires, a must in my opinion.

All that said, it does come down to a preference thing. Either gear or HST will do what you want to do, the HST will be easier. The CK30 is a great machine, loving mine....still. Don't know how I ever did without it. Also, I think you're looking at it right, the CK22 sounds a bit small for your uses/land.

/ CK35 vs CK35HST #6  
Some say that the rather startling weights of the Bobcat and Kioti's between the CK27HST,30 and 35, where the Bobcat CT225, 230, and 235 all of which are identical frame setup and the only difference is the engine, that the smaller ones have trouble moving that much weight. Some say that even with an implement hanging off the back and attempting to traverse a small hill, the 3rd high range will bog down under the load and cause the Relief Valve to actuate a hydraulic bypass. The lighter powered units, I have heard users subscribe to the gear drive. Sounds like you may find this a concern. I would have the dealer commit to you having a test period with the tractor.

I am in Canada and was about to buy a CT225 and opted to up to the CT235 as the cost is only $1500-$2000 more. This is only with regard to the HSTs and gear drives apparently are not susceptible

/ CK35 vs CK35HST #7  
YANKEEDOWNUNDER said:
WOW kOua! You replied instantly and most positively indeed. No mowing,have a JD X300 for that .It will only be used as described with additional slashing of grass and tree branches in the accessible forested areas near the house.Should I put water in the tires? They often do that here.

I think the comments on mowing with HST are applicable to slashing or bush hogging as well. However, if your slashing is just driving straight along a fence line or along a powerline clearing then perhaps HST doesn't offer a big advantage over the gear model.

The other benefit of HST is that it acts as an automatic brake. If you are not going forward or reverse then the HST essentially brakes and holds the tractor pretty much like taking a gear model out of gear and applying the parking brake. On hills it is still best to also use the parking brake but otherwise the hst holds tractor position very nicely while the engine is running. .

/ CK35 vs CK35HST #8  
Howdy! Sounds like a nice place you have there.

I have a CK30 HST and really like the HST because I use the FEL more than anything else. For things like slashing on level ground it probably does not make a lot of difference HST vs Gear but for the small extra $ it sure is convenient.

If R4 tires are new there, you should ask the dealer if you may need Ag tires (tyres :D) - I don't know how dry or wet your lands are.

I think of the 3rd (high) range as a travel gear, perhaps someone could comment as to whether you could slash in 3rd. I'd guess not and 2nd range would be better.

/ CK35 vs CK35HST #9  
Not sure where in Australia you are but you should be able to get a bit better price.
I recently got my DS4510HS with loader, 4 in 1 bucket and 5ft slasher for AU$ 30,000 (with goods & services tax) and that was when the AU$ was 6 cents lower than today.

Gear or HST will depend on your needs and budget.