Tractor will not shut off

/ Tractor will not shut off #1  

Bigboyskioti

Silver Member
Ok so here goes. I started my little CK20HST up yesterday. Drove down the hill to do some weedeating, set the brake went to shut her down but she didn't want to. I'm assuming the ignition switch is faulty. It'll start up with no issues. But I have to pull the fuel shut off to get it to stop. My question is has anybody else dealt with this? How hard is it to replace? Cost & availability of the switch?
I've heard of other tractors running for ever but this little kioti takes the cake!

/ Tractor will not shut off #2  
Got to make a few assumptions here

a - its a diesel

b - it usually shuts off when you turn off the key and you don't need to manually stop the fuel.

that being said could it not be the solenoid that cuts the fuel flow that is faulty? it is one option instead of the switch. Could be gummed up linkage on it or just sticky.

/ Tractor will not shut off #3  
My guess would be the solenoid as well, especially if the switch works to start the tractor. I had this happen on my JD 820, and it was a loose connection on the wire that powered the fuel shut off solenoid. I tightened up the connection and the problem was solved.

/ Tractor will not shut off
I'll give it a look over the next few days. Thanks. Still love the fact it doesn't want to stop working!

/ Tractor will not shut off #5  
1st familiarize yerself with manually forcing the solenoid to the fuel cutoff position as this is a valuable lesson. Find the plunger extending through the rubber boot coming from the cylindrical body of the solenoid and repeat the path of its travel. You will need to hold it there until the engine completely stops. If it is anywhere near moving parts, best to use a screwdriver and not your hand to manipulate it.

If there is not an evident wire that has come loose, you will undoubtedly have a fuse for the solenoid circuit in your fuse-box and I would start there.

Good luck

/ Tractor will not shut off #6  
Simple things to do: Look at switch connections, remove connector spray with wd40, replace, sprary down keyhole.

Mike

/ Tractor will not shut off #7  
I read this post earlier yesterday and in the afternoon I went to shut down my CK20 and guess what. Wouldn't shut off. Starts fine. Is this contagious. It belongs to my SIL and she can't find the owners manual. Can someone tell me where to look for the fuses?? I hate to buy a pricey manual for a few days of use..

TIA.

/ Tractor will not shut off #8  
Did a bit of trouble shooting.. Took the ign switch apart and cleaned good.. Checked the fuel SO solenoid it's OK. Traced the blue wire to the timer relay under the lower dash panel. The blue sol wire has continuity in and there is 12VDC going into the timer. Still won't shut down with the switch. It's a 2004 CK20J with 86 hrs..

I would rather keep shutting down manually rather than throw money at it..

Anyone have any suggestions???

/ Tractor will not shut off #9  
when it happened to me, I got a new ignition switch. I had about 750 hrs at the time; it looked too tricky to do it myself so I had the dealer do it w/ a bunch of other things I'd been meaning to do...part was about $60-80.

/ Tractor will not shut off #10  
Wouldn't it be easy to check with a test light at shut off solenoid? If theres juice there at the wire with key off electrical issue exists further upstream. If theres no juice at solenoid and test light doesn't glow there likely solenoid is bad.