3-Point Hitch 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #1  

robiefield

Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST
My 2011 DK40SE HST has 46 hours on it. I use it every weekend when I work at my 100 ac mountain farm. This might be an early failure, or more likely, it's a problem resulting from failure of the ignorant owner to RTFM.

Sunday I went to remove the PTO chipper from the 3 pt hitch and I could not lower it. Been using the lift controls all day with no issues. Now it would go up, but not down. I finally ended up with it stuck at the top of the travel.

No observable deficiencies in hydraulics of FEL & bucket. HST working as usual. No leaks or wet spots under tractor. The 3 pt hitch and all hoses are dry and intact.

Just the darn thing stuck at the top. Raising and lowering lift position control lever and draft control lever won't do anything, engine on or off.

Used a second FEL and chains to remove the attachment from the 3PH. Inspected unloaded A-arms closely. No leaks or wet spots. No binding at the A-arm attach points. Neither arm will come down regardless of lift position (or draft) control lever setting.

Left the tractor in the barn with the lift in max up position when I drove home to the piedmont. Just couldn't figure it out. No, I did not read the flipping operator's manual... until I got home 170 miles later.

So, after doing some homework, maybe a little late, I think I have one of two things:

1) a stuck valve in the 3PH hydraulics, or,
2) possibly during one of my recents dismounts from the seat, my boot heel whacked a previously unnoticed and until now, seemingly unimportant knob which is identified in the manual as the 3-Point Hitch Lowering Speed Knob.

It dawned on me it might be a Good Thing(tm) that I had not yet called my dealer from the Unhappy Zone about my stuck 3PH. This might be my own fault...

So here is my question for the wisdom of those who've Been There:

Is it possible my big clumsy foot, during trips on and off the tractor, has accidentally whacked this 3-Point Hitch Lowering Speed Knob to a position that is so closed that the 3PH will not lower? Is that setting possible, that will keep a raised hitch from lowering?

Is it possible that when I locate this knob and give it a little twist counter-clockwise I will hear the sound of lowering hydraulic A-arms? (to be followed immediately by the sound of my palm smacking my forehead?)

Or is there a history of 3PH hyd release valves sticking on 40-some hour old tractors?

(Right now I'm hoping for Dumb Operator over Warranty Repair.) I will trade the shame of a big rookie mistake for the pleasure of a working 3PH. Also, should I worry about leaving the unloaded 3PH in the full up position for another 5 days before I return to the farm?

Your experienced thoughts will be appreciated.

Chip
Robiefield Mountain Farms

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #2  
I would betcha 20 that your heel caught the lowering speed knob, it will lock up the 3 pt. Its happened to a few people on here.

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #3  
Look at your lever for the rear aux remote. If it is NOT in the center, the 3PT will not raise. Sometimes I knock mine back with my leg, and get a dead 3pt lift. After re-centering the lever, all is fine.

good luck.

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #4  
winter is the worst time for me actually. due to extra layers of clothing. and /or perhaps removing them and putting them back on. through out the day. and some times those cloths do not always get tight and snug on me. and end up snagging a lever, pedal, or something that i quickly regretted happening as i hustle to remedy the situation.

as far as levers / knobs / pedals. it doesn't make a difference. i have hit or snagged them un-intentionally.

as far as the "lowering speed knob" yes if it is set to tight, it can cut off all flow of hyd fluid and as a result force the implement and 3pt arms to be stuck all the way up. or at a very wanted position.

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up
So the knob is a plausible explanation. Good. I'm hoping that's it.

So how bad is it for the tractor, leaving the lift arms up high for six days in that position? I've been taught to lower 3PH and loader whenever parking the tractor even for a few minutes.

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #6  
So the knob is a plausible explanation. Good. I'm hoping that's it.

So how bad is it for the tractor, leaving the lift arms up high for six days in that position? I've been taught to lower 3PH and loader whenever parking the tractor even for a few minutes.

No problem at all, you took off the attachment.

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #7  
Fear not friend, lots of guys have rolled that knob with their foot, just open the valve, and watch those arms sink to the ground. They may go slowly without the implement on it just put your foot on an arm for a little weight. That is the most logical and likely explaination.
Sure it could be broken, but not likely.

James K0UA

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #8  
99.999% it's the knob, I hit mine all the time with my boots. Most of the time it's not enough to stop the 3 point, just enought to slow it down. Just one of many learning moments that you will have with your new tractor.

Eddie

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #9  
it's the remotes lever. check lever. has happened to me 100 times. unintentionally turning the 3pt knob enough so that the 3pt stops responding, 0 times.....

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #10  
It was the knob on mine, I posted the problem and after reading turned the knob and all worked OK