Hydraulic Leak

/ Hydraulic Leak #1  

Lloyd_E

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kioti DK 45 sc
Smelled hydraulic fluid and noticed some on left rear tire - inside.
The return line to the block was leaking a bit - tighten. Did a bunch of manure moving and checked for leaks every so often... looked OK. Moved some sand this morning and could smell it again. Stopped tractor and looked - leaking again. I wiped everything clean and moved loader up and down and rechecked. Found the leak. Hose was rubbing against bolt that holds cover in place on floor of cab. See attached.

I am not very mechanical but am willing to follow directions and learn.
So having said that is this the correct way to proceed.
1/ lower back pto, lower loader - will this take pressure off of line?
2/ position buckets under each connection
3/ Undo hose connection... may have to lower block below cab to access connection.
4/ Replace hose - hopefully local truck dealer can manufacture hose for me.

Reverse the above - top up fluid.

TIA.

PS: sorry for the crappy images...

Attachments

• IMG_7940.JPG
    IMG_7940.JPG
    485.1 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_7941.JPG
    IMG_7941.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 1,120
   / Hydraulic Leak
Appears in photo other hoses are wearing too. Will place protective material over them.

Lloyd

/ Hydraulic Leak #3  
The other two in the picture seem to have some outer cover wear. Rubbing on something. You'll be ok until the wear gets to the steel braid but putting on protective material should help. Can you adjust what they are wearing against because it doesn't look like you can do much to reposition the hoses?

Your steps for changing the leaking hose are correct. Any good hyd hose shop should be able to make the hose for you. Just make sure to get the same ends. Meaning, the one end I can see in your picture looks like a swivel end. That end allows you to tighten it without the hose turning around. When you tighten it, you should be able to keep the hose lower so the bolt doesn't hit it. I don't think you'll lose that much fluid but a bucket keeps from making a mess.

/ Hydraulic Leak
Victor,

Thanks for the reply.

Got it fixed. Will post pics later. Unfortunately the design does not allow a lot of room for flexing. The hoses are rubbing on the access floor plate in the cab. I covered the hoses with a plastic ribbed clothes washer hose - because that is what I had at hand - I will lift plate and check every few months. I explained to the owner/tech the puncture in the hose. He used a longer 90 degree fitting to get the rubber hose away from the bolt. It is very tight quarters to get everything apart and back together... but with patience it worked and no leaks thus far.

$34+ for the repair...

/ Hydraulic Leak
Pics...

I knew I shouldn't have thrown out that old rubber garden house!

lloyd

Attachments

• IMG_7942.JPG
    IMG_7942.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 1,518
  • IMG_7943.jpg
    IMG_7943.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 302
   / Hydraulic Leak #6  
I don't know if you have the room but could you shim up the plate to keep it away from the hoses? No idea what is above the plate if you lifted it say 1/4 inch. Just an idea.

/ Hydraulic Leak
Victor,

I just checked and noticed a drip of fluid on the bracket connecting the hoses... obviously dripping. I did run it and lifted the loader and rear PTO with a blade on it and no drips or leaks. I will look at it Friday. Above the plate is a foam pad plus a rubber mat and my feet!

I guess I will address all of this when I open it up again. Good idea though - I would have to make a gasket to prevent water from entering from below.

Will update on Friday.

PS: With this leak should I just park the thing until normal?

/ Hydraulic Leak #8  
I guess you would have to be the judge of how much it is leaking. If you just lost a pint or a quart after a few hours of work and don't mind adding when needed or all fixed, then I would run it if you need to. It shouldn't hurt anything other than getting things oily. Otherwise, I guess park it if the hyd oil is flowing pretty good.

/ Hydraulic Leak #9  
Hey Lloyd,
I agree with raising the plate or cutting the bolts in question so they can't hit the hoses AND using some cable ties to hold the washer hose to the actual hose end fittings so they don't walk on you over time. To form a gasket to keep water from leaking I suggest using a good quality caulking around the entire cover plate area of the floor pan. Let it set, then drop the cover plate on it and snug it up. Check for leaks. Done...
Nice work, BTW, not easy access, as you said.:thumbsup:

/ Hydraulic Leak
Thanks all.

It is not "running" just noticed a drip on the bracket. I will run tomorrow morning and check.

TIA

Lloyd