Mowing Belt came off and over heated

/ Belt came off and over heated #1  

Massey1010

Was brush hogging and the next thing I new my CK20 was blowing steam. I immediately shut it off and let it sit awhile. I figured that the radiator screen had gotten clogged but turns out the belt had come off. Did I do any damage to my tractor? Is the belt something I can get locally or do I have to get it from a dealer. Closest dealer is 100 miles away.

/ Belt came off and over heated #2  
Not too many aftermarket sources have cross-reference info on Kioti stuff. That said, if you can figure out the belt length & width, I'm sure it would be available locally. Most dealers, however, do ship parts out when billed to an open account or credit card. It's not like you have to drive the 200 mile round trip to get an OEM fan belt.

/ Belt came off and over heated #3  
Measure around the circumference of all the pulleys with a tape measure (preferably the flexible seamstress type). Then go to McMaster.com and order it. In two days it will be on your doorstep.

You didn't do any damage unless the engine locked up. Even then probably not.

/ Belt came off and over heated #4  
You really need to be more aware of what the tractor is doing and behaving. If I threw a belt, I'm attuned to the tractor enough to know something was amiss.

Far as damaging it, it all depends on how hot it got. Diesels don't like to be overheated for the most part.

So, 'did I damge it?' That's a crapshoot. Only time will tell.

/ Belt came off and over heated #5  
So when a tractor overheats I have been told to unload the engine and let it idle until cool. Point being, don't shut off a hot tractor.

Since your belt was thrown I don't think you had a choice but to shut down at least long enough to replace the belt, then restart and let the coolant circulate.

My OEM belt has been "working" for over 1000 hours. It is too loose and always has been. On some days when I start the engine, the extra load of the glow plugs on the alternator will cause belt slippage which is an audible squeal.

I do not think that you could have heard the missing belt over the roar of an engine at pto speed. You should have (maybe) noticed the temp gauge climb but I will admit to missing that clue on occasion.

Did it do damage? Who knows and who cares. It is what it is. Run it like it didn't happen but do replenish any lost fluids.

/ Belt came off and over heated #6  
So when a tractor overheats I have been told to unload the engine and let it idle until cool. Point being, don't shut off a hot tractor.

Since your belt was thrown I don't think you had a choice but to shut down at least long enough to replace the belt, then restart and let the coolant circulate.

My OEM belt has been "working" for over 1000 hours. It is too loose and always has been. On some days when I start the engine, the extra load of the glow plugs on the alternator will cause belt slippage which is an audible squeal.

I do not think that you could have heard the missing belt over the roar of an engine at pto speed. You should have (maybe) noticed the temp gauge climb but I will admit to missing that clue on occasion.

Did it do damage? Who knows and who cares. It is what it is. Run it like it didn't happen but do replenish any lost fluids.

If you haven't figured out how to tighten your fan belt or how to get someone else to do it for you in 1000 hours of running time, you shouldn't have the responsibility of using a tractor. I hope you get to pay the repair bills.

Making excuses for an operator not seeing a climbing temp gauge, glowing charge indicator lamp, or discharging amp meter is just that, making excuses.

/ Belt came off and over heated #7  
RickB,

My rad blew without any warning, in winter, after a service... figure that one out.
Temp gauge was fine until it blew BTW.

Sometimes things happen regardless of how much service you have done... see my thread regarding hose leaking after 3 years, 750 hours and a 700 hour routine service bill of $940+.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/211303-hydraulic-leak.html

Stuff happens!!!!

Lloyd

/ Belt came off and over heated #8  
RickB,

My rad blew without any warning, in winter, after a service... figure that one out.
Temp gauge was fine until it blew BTW.

Sometimes things happen regardless of how much service you have done... see my thread regarding hose leaking after 3 years, 750 hours and a 700 hour routine service bill of $940+.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/211303-hydraulic-leak.html

Stuff happens!!!!

Lloyd

Sudden failures have immediate consequences. Incremental failures over time and the immedaitely visible results of a fan belt failure coupled with the delay before overheating caused by the loss of water pump function are different entirely.

/ Belt came off and over heated #9  
If you haven't figured out how to tighten your fan belt or how to get someone else to do it for you in 1000 hours of running time, you shouldn't have the responsibility of using a tractor. I hope you get to pay the repair bills.

Making excuses for an operator not seeing a climbing temp gauge, glowing charge indicator lamp, or discharging amp meter is just that, making excuses.

Listen Rick, you can leave your attitude at the door. My fan belt is too loose because it is oversized. The adjustment mechanism is and has always been maxed out so your assumption that I don't know how to adjust it is wrong. That makes you wrong, and makes your little temper tantrum inappropriate.

The belt can be slipping on the alternator pulley enough to make a squeal but not so much that the alternator is stopped which would likely turn on a light.

Who said anything about repair bills?

/ Belt came off and over heated #10  
Was brush hogging and the next thing I new my CK20 was blowing steam. I immediately shut it off and let it sit awhile. I figured that the radiator screen had gotten clogged but turns out the belt had come off. Did I do any damage to my tractor? Is the belt something I can get locally or do I have to get it from a dealer. Closest dealer is 100 miles away.

It will probably show itself within the next 25 hours of runtime if you hurt anything...

Just replace the belt, check out all the fluid levels, fire it up and see what you have...
Look for white smoke out of the exhaust... bubbles/over pressurization of the cooling system.
Keep a close eye on the cooling system for the next 25 hours..