slop in steering colume

/ slop in steering colume #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a LB1914 with 50 hours on it . I was pushing back the snow banks getting ready for another snow storm . When I finished I noticed alot of play in the steering colume [side to side] I never noticed it being quite that bad . I pulled the cap and took the nut off but do not have wheel puller. I guess Ill wait to get thru this storm before I take it apart. is this normal after break in? is there something that can wear out? is ther a way to grease the colume? Any ideas? thanks Wart

/ slop in steering colume #2  
Wart, you may know more about that tractor than I do, but if the steering wheel is turning the shaft, I'd be looking elsewhere for the slack instead of pulling the steering wheel. I'd be looking to see if the steering gear box is still firmly attached to its mounting point (tractor frame?) and looking at the pittman arm, tie rod ends, etc.

/ slop in steering colume #3  
I don't know much about the 1914.
I would probably be looking to see if the steering shaft going from the steering wheel to the box has a bearing and a support somewhere under the dash panel that may be coming loose.

/ slop in steering colume #4  
Is this lateral play in the column without turning the steering wheel or is it play when you turn the steering wheel. ?

Egon

/ slop in steering colume #5  
It is the nature of the beast. They all do it. There is no bearing at the top of the shaft, it rides in a rubber bushing. I believe it is to lessen vibration that would be transfered into the steering wheel, if it was mounted solid.
Don't worry about it. Feed your KIOTI with fresh fuel, clean oil and clean air and she'll live a long productive life.
KO

/ slop in steering colume
Kiohio you were right. I just had to take it apart and see for myself. Looks like that rubber has worn a little. everything else looked good. thanks to everybody that responded. Will spring ever get here? Wart