Bronze Member

Default sub soiler broke top link

I broke the top link while using a subsoiler with my Kioti DK40SEH HST I guess I did something wrong with the 2nd lever that adjusts the float for the 3 pt hitch any suggestions as to what I did wrong and what I should do to avoid this again, I imagine I could have done more damage then I did.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Default Re: sub soiler broke top link

I might be wrong, but I don't think the float would help much with a subsoiler. Either way it it catches an imovable object(root,rock/etc) something is going to give & I would rather it be a top link than anything more expensive. I think you will have to run it a little slower & be ready to stop if you feel the tractor stop or bog.
    Last edited by MotorSeven; 08-05-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by derek01 View Post
    I broke the top link while using a subsoiler with my Kioti DK40SEH HST I guess I did something wrong with the 2nd lever that adjusts the float for the 3 pt hitch any suggestions as to what I did wrong and what I should do to avoid this again, I imagine I could have done more damage then I did.
    Could you use a chain in place of the top link? This was mentioned recently (by Ironhog in "lost 4x4), as a method to reduce shock to the top link attachment points when using a brush hog.
    It might work in your application too- I can't say from experience, I've never used a subsoiler.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Bronze Member

The top link is in compression not tension so the chain would not work. I think I will try to return it and get 1 that has a shear pin in hope of avoiding this again in the future could be a lot worse next time.

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

So did your top link bend? Buckle outwards? I use a subsoiler and it takes a lot of power. I use low gear and high rpms.
    Kioti CK30HST, FEL w/toothbar, 60" RC, 60" BB, PJ 10k trailer. Weekend warrior hauling 50 miles each way.

Bronze Member

Afraid to try it again might break the tractor in teo

Bronze Member

Oops I mean two

Gold Member
    Tractor
    TC 35 New Holland and 52 Case VAC,LT25 Woodmizer logmill

A sub soiler with a built in shear pin is more expensive,of course. I think you can continue to use your economy sub soiler without fear by using a weaker bolt that secures your sub soiler to the top link.