Sudden high RPMS!

/ Sudden high RPMS! #11  
Some Kioti's have had runaway due to the fuel rack inside the fuel system getting stuck. Mine done it and Kioti replaced it under waranty. Do a search for it. Call your dealer and get it looked at. If it runs away the only way to stop it is choke it off. Some use a block of wood or plastic to place over the air inlet. I used my hand. Not smart on my behalf.

/ Sudden high RPMS! #12  
Some Kioti's have had runaway due to the fuel rack inside the fuel system getting stuck. Mine done it and Kioti replaced it under waranty. Do a search for it. Call your dealer and get it looked at. If it runs away the only way to stop it is choke it off. Some use a block of wood or plastic to place over the air inlet. I used my hand. Not smart on my behalf.

c23380, Good call!:)

This is actually the most likely cause of your issue, fuel rack sticking inside the injection pump. It is a dealer only fix, because it entails the most delicate and complicated part on your entire tractor. Is there a way for you to find out if the prior owner was experiencing this problem before you bought the tractor?
If you have to keep running the tractor in the meantime I'd get some RedLine diesel fuel catalyst and add it to your tank to help lubricate your pump and all fuel system components. I'd also change your fuel filter right away to insure it is as clean as it possibly can be.
As to 20-30 seconds of full run rpms I doubt you did any significant damage. The most important thing now is to eliminate the problem before it occurs again, and before the pump locks on with a stuck rack sending the rpms into orbit. Be prepared to do something like you did before to shut her down if it occurs again. Unfortunately popping the clutch in gear to shut her down is real hard on the clutch components....

Good luck, post back questions, thoughts, etc.

/ Sudden high RPMS!
Thanks, all

I was convinced it must be the lube oil as fuel type runaway, which I found quite a bit of info on, but now it may be the fuel rack. I haven't been able to find anything on that yet. Unfortunately, the nearest Kioti dealer is 75 miles away (sem to be very few in western Wash.) and I don't have a trailer. Seems like Kioti should fix it as a safety recall (if tractors have those.)

There was a lot of black smoke coming out as it did this. Would that indicate the oil burning problem rather than fuel rack? Thanks again

/ Sudden high RPMS! #14  
The black smoke is most likely to be overfueling.

A basic diesel with a mechanical fuel pump and delivery system doesn't need any electricity to run. So unless you're dealing with an electric fuel pump or electronic injection, turning off the key doesn't stop it.

/ Sudden high RPMS! #15  
I think that the CK's have a fuel supply solenoid valve that is normally open. When you turn the key off it energizes for a few seconds which shuts the valve, killing the fuel to the engine. After the engine stops the power cycles off de-energizing the solenoid.

/ Sudden high RPMS! #16  
Most likely cause is sticking rack inside fuel injection pump. If it's stuck in an open position or any position it should not be in it will supply the wrong amount of fuel to be burned, either too little- obviously NOT your situation, or too much, thus the runaway condition. Forget about the black smoke for now and seek qualified service to correct the problem before you do end up with some serious engine damage.

/ Sudden high RPMS! #17  
I am voting on the rack in your injector pump, firmly. I had this problem two years ago on my CK30 and it did exactly as you describe. Scared the crap out of me, but I did figure out how to manually kill the engine with the fuel cut out on the fuel filter. Find yours for piece of mind, key won't do it.

/ Sudden high RPMS!
I talked to a Kioto dealer and technician. The technician didn't think it sounded like the fuel rack issue but wasn't sure what it might be. Also called Kioti in NC and left a message with a tech but haven't heard back.

/ Sudden high RPMS! #19  
I was using my CK20S gear tractor today, backing up when suddenly the engine began to go at high RPMs (over the redline).I had the clutch in so I didn't move. I turned off the key but that did nothing. Finally, I popped the clutch and the engine died. This was probably 20-30 seconds of high rpm Black smoke was pouring out while it was revving. I opened the hood and looked around. A headlamp that you wear on your head with elastic strap was lying between the the battery and radiator. It is all plastic. Finally started it it up and it seemed to run fine but I was done for the day

Any idea what caused this?

Will it happen again?

How much damage was likely done to the engine?

Should I change the oil?

Thanks for any help

This is as others have said.. most likely a sticking fuel rack. The fuel rack is either lubed by engine oil or diesel fuel, depending on the type of fuel system it has.
Some fuel systems have access doors on the side that will allow you to go in an look at and manually move the rack. Worst case is you have to partially disassemble and clean. Many times, simply spraying down the fuel rack with plain old WD-40 will do wonders.
It COULD happen again, it COULD cause catostrophic engine damage, if the engine is running ok, then it may not have any internal damage, and I would not worry about changing the engine oil.
Excessive engine speed can cause many different issues..... some of the more common ones are piston to valve impact and/or valvetrain damage... and some engines have a tendency to spin crankshaft bearings.

/ Sudden high RPMS! #20  
I also live in western WA. That's a pretty big area. You don't seem to be in warranty so you can shop any dealer that is willing to work on your brand. If you're near Puyallup then Jenning's Equipment was a Kioti dealer that is now apparently only selling Kubotas again. They know how to work on Kiotis. This isn't rocket science anyway.