CK20 Rotary Mower

/ CK20 Rotary Mower #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Yes,....a CK20 will handle a 5' bush hog.

Mowed quite a bit the past two days and had no trouble using a 5' mower thru some heavy brush. Took down 1" saplings that had grown up since last years mowing. I wondered why the HST version of the CK20 was rated for a larger mower and what I suspected was true. When you hear the rpm drop just let up on the pedal and it will chop up the brush and rpm will pick up and you can speed up. With a gear tractor you have to clutch it and stop to let the mower 'do it's thing' on the brush.

I also bought the cheapest mower I could find that had a stump jumper. Figured my blazing 22-hp would have a hard time tearing up even the cheap one.

RSKY

/ CK20 Rotary Mower #2  
I also bought the cheapest mower I could find that had a stump jumper. Figured my blazing 22-hp would have a hard time tearing up even the cheap one.

well the cheap one maybe ok if you only mow grass, but if you do get into heavy brush and stumps with the occasional rock, let us know how long that cheap one lasts.

/ CK20 Rotary Mower #3  
My CK20 HST handles a 5' King Cutter very well.

/ CK20 Rotary Mower #4  
My CT120 HST does just fine with a KK 5ft brush cutter. I'm starting to mow more grass with it so sharpen the blades with a thiner profile which helps a lot.

/ CK20 Rotary Mower #5  
Yes,....a CK20 will handle a 5' bush hog.

Mowed quite a bit the past two days and had no trouble using a 5' mower thru some heavy brush. Took down 1" saplings that had grown up since last years mowing. I wondered why the HST version of the CK20 was rated for a larger mower and what I suspected was true. When you hear the rpm drop just let up on the pedal and it will chop up the brush and rpm will pick up and you can speed up. With a gear tractor you have to clutch it and stop to let the mower 'do it's thing' on the brush.

RSKY

I realize this is an old thread. Does the CK20 handle a 5' bush hog so well because it's a heavier duty tractor and bigger than a scut? I was thinking the pto rating was only 16.2 hp. Most of the tractors I see with 20hp, they recommend a 4ft bush hog. I ask because I kind of ruled out the CK20 even though I like it a lot when I saw it last year at the farm progress show. But judging this thread, the 5ft is no problem?

Thanks

/ CK20 Rotary Mower #6  
I run a 5' bush hog , no problem , thick brush and small trees,

/ CK20 Rotary Mower #9  
The reason the CK20 is capable of handling a 5' is that it is slow in low range. I have had no problems with a 5 footer in any condition.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.