Loader Adding a grapple to my DK45SE

/ Adding a grapple to my DK45SE #1  

tpulley

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE
Hi folks. Let me first say I have been enjoying reading the posts from several months back to date. I bought my DK45se about 6 months ago and LOVE IT....

I read about someone or three mentioning a grapple bucket. It seems this is what I need. I plan to do some thinning out of a 3-5 acre wooded lot. Taking the smaller stuff out etc. I have a couple of questions while looking at what it takes to make this happen. I contacted my dealer yesterday to find out what it would cost to put on a grapple. He said he didn't sell them. But for $3600 I could get a 4-1 bucket added. No problem me thinks, I can find anything on the net. :thumbsup:

However I will need to get some hyrdaulic changes to be able to use the top clamp/thumb part. What does it take to make this change on the Kioti dk45se? Is this something I could do myself? I am pretty mechanically inclined and do much if not all my own maint on the tractor. I see no reason to pay a dealer to do something I am capable of. I also know my limitations and if I don't feel comfortable with something I will leave it to the experts.

Lastly what kind of bucket do you guys recommend for clearing 4 inch or less trees, a few stumps , old fallen trees etc from the lot?

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

/ Adding a grapple to my DK45SE #2  
TPULLEY,

First.....welcome to the Pack!!!:thumbsup:

Regarding your question/comment about the hydraulic part, you can either run lines to your rear remotes and use that....this is by far the most inexpensive option - you will more than likely have to use 2 hands. If you go with a 3rd function valve and joystick mounted switch, you only need 1 hand! This is definitely the way to go if you have the cash as it is a few hundred more.

I'm on a limited budget right now and can't justify the $500 to $700 cost for a 3rd function valve. However, I have found a 12volt ac 3rd function valve w/ 16.8 gpm rating (which is the minimum of what we need) for $110 (see Item# 202303 @ Northerntool.com). You'll need a subplate to go with it ($40). The hoses and fittings shouldn't cost that much but the biggest cost after the valve will be the switch. That's about as far as I've gotten to date.....may be piecing it together over the next few months??

If you can turn a wrench and have any experience under the hood of a car, you can install this yourself (IMHO). Good Luck!!!

Oh, one last thing......take and post pics, please!!!:D

/ Adding a grapple to my DK45SE #3  
Other than the hydraulics, which is needed for any type of grapple, here's another option other than a 4in1 bucket or dedicated grapple. It's a grapple attachment for your current bucket. Not to make your decision making harder; just another option. Michigan Iron can also hook you up with whatever hydraulics you may want and they're a Kioti dealer.

Michigan Iron & Equipment: Kioti Dealer

ANBO Manufacturing - Bucket Grapple Series

Another place to see the many attachments that are out there:
http://www.(Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure)/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

/ Adding a grapple to my DK45SE #4  
I got a grapple from Markham (now Gator I believe). I already had an extra set of remotes on my tractor so all I had to do was purchase and route the hydraulic lines to the grapple. Total cost was around $1100 for grapple and lines. I didn't add the electric over hydraulic valve/switch because of the cost. I haven't missed it at all and have never had to use more than one hand to operate it. It's one of those things that after a day of operating it, you don't even know you're taking your hand off the FEL control. My grapple is a 60 in and I've said on here before that if I had it to do over, I may very well go with the 48 inch. It's a very tough grapple and will do anything you have any business doing with a DK45.

After knowing what mine will do, I just can't see paying $3000 for one. Just my opinion of course.

/ Adding a grapple to my DK45SE #5  
I LOVE my Igland model 4001 log grapple. It is super heavy duty, built by people who know how to build winches and grapples that won't bend, or break without EXTREME abuse. It performs flawlessly and can pick up incredible loads due to its weighing only 500 +/- lbs and having a 3' width, so it doesn't detract from maximum lift capacity of the loader by all that much cpompared to some heavier grapples. It does have a very HD structure that is IMHO designed for serious use without suffering from lesser metal thickness problems which some large size grapples tines seem to exhibit. Pricing is reasonable too for what one receives for the amount spent.

/ Adding a grapple to my DK45SE
Thanks for all the replies. I have spent the better part of the weekend poking around and looking different grapples. I have thoroughly enjoyed the (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) site . lots of good videos on there. I called those folks this am to get the skinny on a kit. For the dk45se it is $875 (they have two sizes under 15gpm and over 15gpm, the 45se is 16.8 gpm which adds $100 to the junction valve price). I then received a call from my dealer who just quoted me a $4200 + tax price. OUCH. I can only think of the $$$ I am going to save.

Now to figure out which grapple bucket to choose. I am leaning toward the 60" of what ever. I see some that have dual paddles and some that have a single paddle on top. Which is better? At first I thought the single would be sturdier but then got to thinking that when carrying "stuff" that is uneven the split paddle would be better. Any thoughts or suggestions?

/ Adding a grapple to my DK45SE #7  
I bought a C.I.D light root grapple this summer and i have had very good luck with it.It has a single cylinder and does all that I want .

/ Adding a grapple to my DK45SE #8  
tpulley,

If you need a feather option on your grapple, then look at this selector valve. It takes the tilt hyd supply and routes the fluid to either the tilt cyl or the grapple cyl. A switch on the joystick lever selects which function you will use.

Surplus Center - SAE 8 15 GPM DOUBLE SELECTOR VALVE 12 VDC P15544-1

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Instruct/I9-5117.pdf

There are many grapple attachments on the web. Single or double, etc. If you are handy with a welder, you can build your own.

Here are some pictures of different grapples..

Attachments

• 56BucketGrapple-Gallery.jpg
    56BucketGrapple-Gallery.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 73rootgrapplecond.jpg
    73rootgrapplecond.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 265
  • grapple1b-1.jpg
    grapple1b-1.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 215
  • rakegrapple.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 175
  • rake-grapple.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 220
  • Thumb yellow.jpg
    Thumb yellow.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 230
  • brush-clawLG.jpg
    brush-clawLG.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 203
   / Adding a grapple to my DK45SE #9  
   / Adding a grapple to my DK45SE #10  
The single cylinder works fine for every application I've ever needed. When it comes to grapples, you're going to get lots of opinions on here. Grapples are so handy, that whatever one gets, it seems to be the BEST one on the market. :laughing: Good luck!