Block , pan or inline heater?

/ Block , pan or inline heater? #1  

CanuckGT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
Ok,getting close to freeze up here in the great white north so I am in a hurry to install a block heater of some sort on my ck30hst.

So I have several options,magnetic pan heater,block heater or inline heater, so what Im asking here is,which type would be the best application for my ck30?

Im thinking maybe the magnetic pan heater as I also could use it for other vehicles?? But, don't think it would be the most efficient...

Block heater would mean knocking the knockout out and pressing in a sleeve with a screw in element,looking at some previous posts I see a few people have had them leak,etc??

And lastly ,the lower rad hose inline heater, never ran one of these but am kind of leaning in this direction...

/ Block , pan or inline heater? #2  
Check out the search function of TBN. MANY posts on the subject. Block heater 1st, hose heater 2nd for your area, pan heater 28th, only ahead of heated dipstick. :D MikeD74T

/ Block , pan or inline heater? #3  
Lower hose or block heater. The oil pan heaters do little more than waste electricity. I've a couple of them in shop I'd give you.

/ Block , pan or inline heater? #4  
CanuckGT said:
Ok,getting close to freeze up here in the great white north so I am in a hurry to install a block heater of some sort on my ck30hst.

So I have several options,magnetic pan heater,block heater or inline heater, so what Im asking here is,which type would be the best application for my ck30?

Im thinking maybe the magnetic pan heater as I also could use it for other vehicles?? But, don't think it would be the most efficient...

Block heater would mean knocking the knockout out and pressing in a sleeve with a screw in element,looking at some previous posts I see a few people have had them leak,etc??

And lastly ,the lower rad hose inline heater, never ran one of these but am kind of leaning in this direction...

Get the block heater. Agree with BP, pan heaters are a waste, especially if the pan is cast iron. BTDT.

/ Block , pan or inline heater?
yes!...forgot about the dipstick heater....is that like a toque for my engine...eh?

/ Block , pan or inline heater? #6  
OP: Just look around and see what ther folks are using when it gets cold!:)

/ Block , pan or inline heater? #7  
Look at this site Wolverine Engine Heaters | Outperforms Engine Block Heater - Cold Starts

i purchased 3 of them.for my DK45.
A 125 watt for the oil pan, a 250 watt for the transmission (HST) and a 250 watt for the 3 point hitch hydraulic tank (for loader mounted snowblower).

All are controlled by a timer for max of 3 hours a day when below 20F outside. Costs about $3.90/month to operate at this rate.

Gets warm to touch in seconds.

The magnetic ones are a total waste of $$$. The freeze block ones ive used before and there OK, but i hate to remove a freeze plug and im unsure if Kioti would raise an issue if there is any engine issues in the future.

I would love to have a lower radiator heater...but the hose is WAY too short and already has a "T" for the can heater.

/ Block , pan or inline heater? #8  
Curious about the "out preforms" statment. Any data on that?:)

/ Block , pan or inline heater? #9  
Curious about the "out preforms" statment. Any data on that?:)

That i dont know, however i havnt read any negative reviews about these pads. I have read some about the Kats version though.

/ Block , pan or inline heater? #10  
We use them on the external oil tanks for dry sump oilers in race cars. While it usually isn't cold then, it is common to take the oil temerature up to and past 200 degrees. They come with a glue that will adhere them to any surface. I can see where one on oil pan and one on transmission or any other oil tank surface would work. I know it takes a bigger than 2K gengerator to run one. Ever NASCAR will have used one to preheat oil before starting!