Colder weather n Starting my DK50

/ Colder weather n Starting my DK50 #1  

whitmerlegacyfarm

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kioti DK50SE HST w/ 401 Loader
Ok all ive had my DK50 hst out twice now since its gotten colder. Once to hang a deer up to skin ou, n then today to clean up all the mud in barn yard.

Im curious wat the cold starting procedure is? I wait until the glow plug lite goes out n then turn key to start. Both times startred rite up but after I shut it off n then go to restart I hav to hold key to start position for a few seconds then it turns over n starts up. Is this normal? Wondering if I have a starting problem? Thanks all

/ Colder weather n Starting my DK50 #2  
I turn key on, wait for light to go out and start. Until the engine gets warmed up and the temp gauge actually shows movement your glow plug light will come on. You should be able to turn key and start once the engine is warm. Might be a loose connection. I know once my engine is warm I just touch the key to start position and it fires right up.

Hope this helps.

/ Colder weather n Starting my DK50 #3  
Ok all ive had my DK50 hst out twice now since its gotten colder. Once to hang a deer up to skin ou, n then today to clean up all the mud in barn yard.

Im curious wat the cold starting procedure is? I wait until the glow plug lite goes out n then turn key to start. Both times startred rite up but after I shut it off n then go to restart I hav to hold key to start position for a few seconds then it turns over n starts up. Is this normal? Wondering if I have a starting problem? Thanks all

How long has it run before you go to restart it? Like Lloyd said, if it hasn't reached temp then it may still need some glow plug heat by turning the key toward crank, but not 'till it cranks to make the plugs assist your restart.

/ Colder weather n Starting my DK50
Should of been plenty warmed up ran it for over n hr doin loader work.

/ Colder weather n Starting my DK50 #5  
Interesting.

I started mine the other morning when it was cold and I waited for glow plugs to go out, fired it up and she ran rough for moment until I upped the idle.

I have now read the warm-up, cool-down threads and now I am trying to let it warmer, and letting it idle down for a minute before I shut it off.

I will try to pay attention and observe.

David

/ Colder weather n Starting my DK50 #6  
   / Colder weather n Starting my DK50 #7  
Any time it is around freezing or below, I cycle the glow plugs 2-3 times before starting. Once the engine is warm (10min) it starts right up. If I don't, it clatters along for a few seconds like it's missing a cylinder.
WLF, if it is dragging to start after it is warm something is wrong. Loyds suggestion to clean and check connections is a good place to start(battery and grounds).