Injector Pump failure

/ Injector Pump failure #1  

bob42

Tractor
Kioti DK40
I have learned so much from many of you on this forum that I need to pass on what I have learned.
A year ago my DK40 with about a 100 hrs. on it went to full throttle after a restart. Called my dealer and he had a replacement installed in a few days. It now has 150 hrs. on it with no problems.
I recently talked to the mechanic and asked if they had taken my old pump apart to see what had happened to make it fail. He hadn't and allowed me to take it apart. The first and second pictures shows the broken gear tooth that jammed it full throttle. The third picture shows, for those of you interested, what is inside these things. When the mechanic saw what had failed he handed me a three cylinder pump from another Kioti. The fourth picture shows two broken teeth on the gear from it. Their opinion is that the violent action of the solenoid is breaking the teeth.
I agree with them because I found nothing else wrong. Quality of the individual sintered metal gears could be questioned since not all gears fail.

Attachments

• 008 (588x480).jpg
    008 (588x480).jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 824
  • 009 (640x479).jpg
    009 (640x479).jpg
    162 KB · Views: 786
  • P1010133 (640x480).jpg
    P1010133 (640x480).jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 2,005
  • P1010140 (640x480).jpg
    P1010140 (640x480).jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 986
   / Injector Pump failure #2  
That's interesting Bob, thanks for the pic's. But if the solenoids are too much for the gears would we not see more IP failures?

/ Injector Pump failure #3  
We were told that..... The gear was made with to hard of steel.

/ Injector Pump failure #4  
   / Injector Pump failure #6  
My Kioti CK 20S is in for repair right noe for injector pump failure. I believe it is the same issue show here. It led to incidents of out of control very high RPMs. Apparently the glow plug tips also broke off. This seems to have happened fairly often and is due to defective manufacturing or design. Has Kioto offered to help with these repairs? Or Bosch (who, I believe, makes the pump)?

/ Injector Pump failure #7  
Members have posted having their pump replaced under warranty on various models. I don't know if anyone didn't have to pay "after" warranty. The early CK30 injector pump had a problem with a plastic part going bad which was apparently redesigned.

/ Injector Pump failure #8  
PatS said:
My Kioti CK 20S is in for repair right noe for injector pump failure. I believe it is the same issue show here. It led to incidents of out of control very high RPMs. Apparently the glow plug tips also broke off. This seems to have happened fairly often and is due to defective manufacturing or design. Has Kioto offered to help with these repairs? Or Bosch (who, I believe, makes the pump)?

I have not seen a CK20 injection pump failure. Doesnt mean it cannot happen. I do not expect KIOTI to warranty it unless the tractor is less than two years old. Your dealer that is working on the tractor can call and ask. Worst thing - KIOTI will say is no.

Couple things for your future information. These little pumps really don't like biodiesel - discontinue use. Next ALWAYS (cannot stress this enough!), use some sort of fuel additive. KIOTI has one, FPPF Polar Power, Stanadyne, and of course LUCAS.

I use Polar Power in my trucks, KIOTI in my tractors. Both of these have blends for summer and winter use. Very critical.

One thing you have heard before and I will repeat. To get to the 15ppm rating they burn the lubricating properties out of the fuel. These additives NEED to be put in every tank full.

I believe in them. Every tractor leaves my dealership with required amount of KIOTI fuel treatment.

Tony

/ Injector Pump failure #9  
I have not seen a CK20 injection pump failure. Doesnt mean it cannot happen. I do not expect KIOTI to warranty it unless the tractor is less than two years old. Your dealer that is working on the tractor can call and ask. Worst thing - KIOTI will say is no.

Couple things for your future information. These little pumps really don't like biodiesel - discontinue use. Next ALWAYS (cannot stress this enough!), use some sort of fuel additive. KIOTI has one, FPPF Polar Power, Stanadyne, and of course LUCAS.

I use Polar Power in my trucks, KIOTI in my tractors. Both of these have blends for summer and winter use. Very critical.

One thing you have heard before and I will repeat. To get to the 15ppm rating they burn the lubricating properties out of the fuel. These additives NEED to be put in every tank full.

I believe in them. Every tractor leaves my dealership with required amount of KIOTI fuel treatment.

Tony

Curious as to why one needs to add an additive to every tank of fuel used in ALL Kioti tractors?
I know what your saying about the 'dry' fuel, but can nothing diesel run without adding something to the fuel?
To date I've run a DK-35 for 350 hours and my current DK-40 for over 215+ hours with no additives whatsoever. I've had no starting issues, no frozen or gelled fuel issues, etc., etc. Granted, I do keep my fuel in an insulated tank stored in an indoor garage, and my local supplier cuts the fuel for winter months use.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but does Kioti suggest or require and additive to be used?
If so, where do they state this?

/ Injector Pump failure #10  
Looks like part was possibly made from powdered metal? Look at the machined diameter, it looks porous to me.