3 bottom plow

/ 3 bottom plow #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
A neighbor of mine has an old JD 3 bottom plow that he is willing to give me if I'll move it. The 3 plows look Ok but all need points. It's green and I can barely see JD on it bt I can't see any numbers. Not sure how much it weighs but its stout. Do you think a DK45 could pull it? (Providing I can find some points for it). Note: It is a hydro transmission. Any problems plowing with a hydro?

Thanks

Last edited:
   / 3 bottom plow #2  
Not likely, unless you have very mellow soil. I am not sure how much drawbar HP they have. It will be less than the PTO hp. I am not sure about the hydro though as my experience is with a gear transmission. A guess would be 30 to 33hp and a hydro maybe less at the drawbar. Again this is a guess.

Also is it a pull type or 3pt mount? Mounted will pull a little easir. Just from my experience I would say a DK45 is a strong 2 plow tractor. Traction may be an issue if you have R4 tires and filled tires will help. Weight and traction are as important as hp. The 4-wheel drive will definilty help.:thumbsup:

If you try it let us know if works. Also any free plow is a great deal so I would get the plow no matter what. :D:D:D

/ 3 bottom plow
It's a 3 point hitch plow and I don't have filled R1 tires. I may give it a try but i have my doubts that I can pull it. The main part of the plow looks to be bigger than 4x4 steel. I'll get some pics next weekend. I was thinking I may be able to take one plow off since it isn't going to cost me anything and give it a try that way.
Thanks

/ 3 bottom plow #4  
Great idea on taking a bottom off. Sounds like a great deal no matter what you decide.:thumbsup:

/ 3 bottom plow #5  
John Deere plows pull harder than any plow out there. Ford 101 and Oliver plows pull the easiest. Ken Sweet

/ 3 bottom plow #6  
Attached is a pic of my DK45SE HST pulling a 3 bottom plow my neighbor let me borrow. Followed by some discing. Don't know what brand the plow was but it was no problem. Stuff in the garden actually grew after I was done.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4,919
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    953.7 KB · Views: 2,037
   / 3 bottom plow #7  
Attached is a pic of my DK45SE HST pulling a 3 bottom plow my neighbor let me borrow. Followed by some discing. Don't know what brand the plow was but it was no problem. Stuff in the garden actually grew after I was done.

That plow is a IH trip beam plow. Nice plow. Ken Sweet

/ 3 bottom plow #9  

It appears your not plowing deep enough, the soil should turn over better.... Just my thoughts.

/ 3 bottom plow #10  
Egon; I probably need to let the top link out a little more next time.
Blueriver: 3pt and draft control were all the way down.

I'll admit I'm a rookie at this stuff, first attempt at a small garden. Nothing more seat time won't fix. Tractor did great, operator still learning:)