Balast

/ Balast #1  

pickeringchris

Gold Member
So I had the ck27 out for the first time today and played with the loader. With a full bucket of dirt she is a little bouncy.
Should I load the rear tires?

Thanks.

/ Balast #2  
You are going to need balast in some form, for almost any use of your FEL. There are all sorts of great ideas on TBN threads - from balast boxes to loaded tires and lots of alternatives in between. Just browse the forums and look for key words relating to weights and balast. Have fun and enjoy TBN.

/ Balast #3  
You might get mixed answers here Chris. Some will say that rear ballast is better for transferring load off the front axle. Loaded tires definitely stabalize the tractor but can leave all loader weight pivoting on the front axle.

I loaded my rears and have lifted to the limit of my loader without getting light in the back end, and have no extra ballast.

The dealer was pretty confident that I couldn't overload the front axle on the CK20. Your model CK27 has a greater lift capacity than my CK20 so you might want to load tires AND add rear ballast. Especially since the pumpkins are your focus and those heavy lifts will be common.

/ Balast #4  
I would load them, its a bit of cheap insurance against a roll over and you'll have that extra stability even with something light on the 3ph.
Even better is to set the rear track a bit wider as well but if your lot is all level then it may not be worth the trouble.
I've got my tractor set to the widest possible and the rears loaded with rimguard and it allows me to go more places while using the loader.

/ Balast
I just found a place that I can get sugar beet juice. I can put a tote in my trailer and they will fill it up.
Does anyone know how many gallons my rear tires will need? Thanks

/ Balast
You know, the more I think about it the more I think I should just make a concrete 3ph ballast. That way she is not so heavy when I need to trailer her. I have a ABS drum that would be perfect.
I will make it 5-600 lbs.

/ Balast #7  
On my DK45 I leave the mower or bush hog on the 3PH unless I'm working in tight spaces. That extra 600 lb way out on the back provides a lot of counter balance for a full bucket. But loaded tires (have those too) also help improve stability against roll-over. I can't speak to CK specifically.

/ Balast
I'm like an old lady on this guys. Stability is not an issue because my half acre ranch is flat. :). Still I am thinking I will need the extra weight in the tires for traction when I use a subsoiler. Maybe I do need both the tires filled and a 3ph weight.

/ Balast #9  
I'm like an old lady on this guys. Stability is not an issue because my half acre ranch is flat. :). Still I am thinking I will need the extra weight in the tires for traction when I use a subsoiler. Maybe I do need both the tires filled and a 3ph weight.
Unless your worried about soil compaction, I don't think you'll ever be sorry you've loaded the tires and have a counter weight for loader work.
I only have 7' blade for a counter weight now and I should really get something much heavier even though I'm only using maybe half the loaders capacity.

/ Balast #10  
I'm definitely in the load your tires camp. I love the weight for traction and putting the hp to the ground. Even then, you might want a counter weight if the pumpkins stick way out beyond the bucket (and I'm sure they will).

Check with a dealer on how much fluid exactly. I'd guess about 35 - 40 gallons per tire for R4s. R1's hold less, I think.