Oil & Fuel Fuel sending unit

/ Fuel sending unit #1  

lunbrjck

Bronze Member
I have a 2008 CK20HST that shows the fuel tank being full all the time. It worked for maybe a month or two then stayed on the full mark from then on. I have pulled the sending unit out of the tank and it is not stuck or binding, and as I raise and lower the float the fuel gauge registers. I can't see anywhere in the tank that it is rubbing or catching. Would be nice to have a sending unit that worked and not have to keep checking the fuel level visually. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ Fuel sending unit #2  
You say when you manually move the float it registers...correctly?

If so, can you put the sender unit into a bucket of water and see what it does as far as registering? I suspect the float mechanism is malfunctioning. Usually floats become saturated by fuel penetration and give false readings due to staying toward the bottom of the tank due to the extra weight of the fuel inside the float. Is there any evidence of sloshing fuel in the float?

If the float is absorbing fuel DON"T reinstall it after submerging it in water; it will then put water in your tank---instead replace it with a new float/sender mechanism.

/ Fuel sending unit
No the float works fine and it registers full all the time even when close to empty there is no fuel in the float and yes when you move the float arm up and down it registers on the fuel gauge.

/ Fuel sending unit #4  
If the float was bad, it may more likely give a low reading. These sending units are a little fussy. It sounds more like the float stem isn't in the proper position on the resistor. Pull the sending unit again and make sure the position if the float is about where you would expect it to be at full and empty. The float stem may be out of calibration, ie, not traveling properly. Also, it should flop easily to the low position when you hold the unit by the mount. You can then look at the contact on the resistor to see if it is traveling the length of the resistor properly. Not much to these things, just a variable slide resistor.

The fuel level is read in intervals by the display unit. That signal is sent to the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster. It will take a while for the fuel level to read properly on the gauge.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
   / Fuel sending unit #5  
No the float works fine and it registers full all the time even when close to empty there is no fuel in the float and yes when you move the float arm up and down it registers on the fuel gauge.

What does it register on the gauge when you move it up/down? Correct position?

See what MIE said- I still suspect the tank sender unit is faulty/out of adjustment. If it correctly registers on the gauge when you fiddle with it doesn't mean it's functioning correctly; just that you can physically manipulate it out of the tank.
Let us know what you find after doing what MIE suggested to verify proper adjustment:thumbsup:/operation.
Good luck.

/ Fuel sending unit #6  
Do a search here on this. A few years ago someone had the same problem and corrected it by bending the float arm into a different position.

/ Fuel sending unit #7  
Check the resistance for the sending unit as advised in the service manual. The readings should be: at empty or hanging down, (103-117) and full or up position (1-5). My original sending unit would jump the numbers all over during it's travel from full to empty. As MEI mentioned, it's a simple device but a contact has to touch a coil resister that's inside the metal box. You can take the box off without damaging it, possibly bend the contact arm, if that's the problem, and reassemble. I had to replace mine.
Here's the post with the pictures, http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...80418-ck30-fuel-sending-unit-adjustments.html
I put in a new sending unit only to have the float arm drag on the side of the tank and had to play with the arm adjustment. Almost 500 hours and still good.

/ Fuel sending unit
Thanks for all the responses I haven't had a chance to look at it again with the holidays and all but will remove the sending unit again after Christmas and see what I can figure out. Again thanks to all and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy Safe New year.