CK20 Ignition Key Replacement

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement
I've been nursing this switch for awhile now and I just know that one day when I really need my tractor in a hurry, notin' will happen when I turn the switch. Just my luck. :mad:

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #12  
Mine was problematic too until I cleaned the switch insides with contact cleaner. Let it dry real good. Then put lots of dielectric grease in the switch off the key and "washed" it down in with fluid film. I love that fluid film! Great stuff. It's been working good now for the last three years.

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #13  
Pulled the panels didnot remove steering wheel or throttle handle. With the panels pulled out there is enough room to reach in and unplug the wires and plug the new one in.

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement
Thanks gang for all the tips. Now just need to make time to do the deed. :thumbsup:

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #16  
I can't speak to the CK-20, but the DK's have an available switch cover that can be pressed closed over the ignition key slot when the key is not being used and it has a lead that keeps it in place when not in use.
Personally, I wouldn't use Fluid Film on an electrical part. I'd use an electrical contact cleaner followed by a silicone spray, and then the key slot cover.

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #17  
Contacted my dealer - Upper Valley Tractor - and they sent me a replacement ignition switch.

Took me about 1 hour to remove and install new switch. My tractor now starts just like it was brand new.

Much easier for me to replace the switch than put the tractor on a trailer and transport it back and forth to Upper Valley.

marc

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #18  
I can't speak to the CK-20, but the DK's have an available switch cover that can be pressed closed over the ignition key slot when the key is not being used and it has a lead that keeps it in place when not in use.
Personally, I wouldn't use Fluid Film on an electrical part. I'd use an electrical contact cleaner followed by a silicone spray, and then the key slot cover.

Mine had the cover. It lasted less than a year before it broke off.

Why not fluid film? It is proported to be good for electrical contacts. I've used on several connectors. It's great on battery terminals too. Put that on; it stays on; no terminal corrosion ever again.

I also use dielectric grease. But the FF will get into places and stay where the grease cannot.

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #19  
Finally ordered a replacement for my CK30 switch. I'm hoping the new part number means it's a new and better switch.

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #20  
Why not fluid film? It is proported to be good for electrical contacts. I've used on several connectors. It's great on battery terminals too. Put that on; it stays on; no terminal corrosion ever again.

I also use dielectric grease. But the FF will get into places and stay where the grease cannot.

Agreed. Fluid Film is excellent on electrical components that need protection. I prefer it to dielectric grease in trailer light plugs, on battery terminals, and in connectors that are exposed to rain, snow, salt etc. It's conductivity is very low. Fluid Film says the specific conductivity is less than 10E-9 ohm/cm @ 1 mHz.