CK20 Ignition Key Replacement

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #1  

Sandlot

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20(Gear)
Well, it's time. My ignition switch is starting to give me fits when trying to start my tractor after it has set a few days. I need to work it back and forth a few times before I get the glow plug and oil light to come on. I was prepared for this and had ordered a new switch from Wallace Tractor & Equipment the minute it started acting up. Has anybody done this before and what is the procedure? Do I need to remove the dash or just the panel below the dash? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #2  
On my DK45s it only involved removing the panel below the dash and it was all pretty obvious once I got started. Of course, the CK may be different, but I doubt it. For what it's worth, I disassembled and cleaned/lubed my ignition switch and my glow problem was fixed. My switch was pretty dirty inside from years of dirt/dust accumulation and that was the whole problem. If you decide to disassemble your old switch, do it in a room where you'll be able to find the parts that pop out or roll away and you may want to use a digital camera (or cell phone) to make photos to aid reassembly. I think I had to reassemble mune a couple times to get all the orientations right.

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement
Thanks Scott. I will just replace mine and maybe take the old one apart for a look see. Your right, digital cameras are great for this stuff. Nice detailed pictures for when it's time to put things back together. Isn't it great when those little springs and balls go flying!

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #4  
I give mine shots of electrical cleaner in the keyhole.

It does seem to help.

I believe you will need to pull the steering wheel to be able to lift the dash enough to access it. I took the lower panel off and you can barely see the switch, never mind access it..

I give mine shots of electrical cleaner in the keyhole.

It does seem to help.

I believe you will need to pull the steering wheel to be able to lift the dash enough to access it. I took the lower panel off and you can barely see the switch, never mind access it..

I was afraid of that. Maybe I can get my 5 year old grandson to reach up there for me! He loves wrenchin!

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #6  
Remove all screws from upper and lower cowling as well as the throttle lever etc.
You can then reach up in and unplug the swtich and remove it.

BTI

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #7  
My CK30 is having the same issues. Is the ignition switch covered under warranty? MY tractor is under 2 years old.

Happy 2012!

marc

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #8  
Sure wish Kioti would come up with a better switch. I've replaced mine three times and it's acting up again.

Did you follow BTI's instruction about removing the screws on the dash and lower panel? Did you need to pull the steering wheel and throttle handle?

/ CK20 Ignition Key Replacement #10  
On my DK 35, the main problem with the key switch is caused by dirt on the back of the switch, around the connectors. I bought a new switch but while rooting around to install it, found alot of muck and slime around the whole under dash area. I used spray cleaner, reached in give a real good clean with a lint-free rag and seems to do it for quite some time. I also spray inside the key hole. Kept the new switch as I was unsure how long I could keep it going this way but it's been more than a year, now.