Oil & Fuel Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please

/ Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please #11  
One other thing before I forget to mention it. If, as you state the tank's rotting out clogs your fuel filter in less the an hour I really hope for your sake you haven't done extensive damage downstream to the injection pump and or injectors. How many hours on the DK ? Are you the original owner?
Additionally, if you have a source of diesel that might be contaminating your tractor's tank, then maybe that is the actual problem and not a rotted on-board tank? Just thinking out loud here, not saying you're wrong, BUT you will need to find a different source of diesel when you're done figuring out the tank issues, otherwise you will end up with similar problems, or worse, assuming downstream damage hasn't already occurred.
I'm suspicious of a rotted diesel tank on the DK- but anything is possible given the right set of circumstances.
Post back requested details, please.
Thanks 'Dusty' :)

Thought of something else. If it were me I'd put the fuel cap on the tank and clean around the fuel gauge sender mounting on top of the tank. Then I'd carefully remove the gauge's sender unit and put it aside while I took a bright flashlight and looked carefully inside the tank to see what is in the tank. You said it was rotting, but I didn't see anything about it leaking?! This might further confirm my suspicion that the tank is contaminated by a bad fuel supply source and that is what is leading you to believe it is a rotted tank.
Again, I could be wrong, but it's always a possibility :)

Last edited:
   / Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please #12  
ArizonaRancher,

Thanks for sharing all this with us. I'm just a s curious as the rest so far as how in the world when you got to be in just about the dryest state in the union does a perfectly good fuel tank rot/rust off of a Tractor in such little time. My four year old tractor does not go very far along the rust belt salt covered roads around here but I don't think that four year old tank of mine is anywhere close to rusting.

Good luck with your task.

rimshot

/ Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please
1st the easy question. I have only 175 hours -on my machine in 11 years. So I assume that sitting ariund with the huge temperature change here is Arizona put water in the tank. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. But dont let the small number of hours fool you, it cleared my 6 acres with desert trees with roots that were over 10 feet long using our TR3 (a most wonderful machine!). That took 2 months alone. Also, it bored 1000 fence posts. So it has earned it's keep.

Then the pictures in the PDF - there are 3 of them. To pull the fuel tank out I must be able to move the steel rod shown in 2 of the pictures. It is connected to a "Y" shaped device with a pin that cant come out because the alternator or starter is in the way. The question is if I cut the pin freeing the rod is it- the rod, free to move enough to remove the fuel tank. And no I donot want to remove the alternator / starter.

So cutting the pin holding the rod - now then the rod nis o longer is attached by the motor but can it move enough to get the fuel tank out. The pin is a stock $4.00 item at any implement store.

I have an email into Kioti

I have an email into Kioti but they have no info except an outdated or post dated drawing of the fuel tank. They, Kioti, doesn't have any infor on removing the fuel tank. I am working with the Tech Support Manager.

Should have mentioned that I was working with Kioti sooner. They did finally contact me. Since I have a Kubota I was already talking with them and they were trying to help me.

The gentleman was right, the starter must be removed per Kioti. If you have a Cat the fuel tank comes out towards the instrument panel as it was explained to me. In Kioti, the fuel tank comes out towards the engine. And again this applies at least to my tractor. So on not wanting to remove the starter, I eat CROW. Can I use salt please? I just got back from a car service appointment in Phoenix and it is too late to really explore new territory yet tonight. I feel that I can get it out tomorrow morning.

One note, the Kioti tech said that "blue" locktite would be a good idea on reassemble. More tomorrow and everybody T H A N K S !!!

Last edited:
   / Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please #15  
AR,
Is it your conclusion that there is rust, etc. inside the tank from long periods of condensation build up in your fuel tank, and as a result of this the tank is rusted enough to warrant removal and replacement, or at least cleaning and possible permanent sealing as I mentioned earlier?
If it were my tank I'd prefer to seal it, especially considering the climate you live in, and the fact that removing that tank is a once in a lifetime deed, hopefully, and you don't want to have to do so again ten or so years down the road.
And you may add salt to the crow!:thumbsup:
Or in the case of you 'western' guys chipolte or red hot sauce!

When Kioti finally got back to me they said the hardened steel rod is connected to the clutch and it moves up freely. It does. I got the tank just about out and there are two more bolts on the bottom of the tank. Okay I must say that this tank is well mounted. I appreciate that. No half vast ideas here. It is well mounted. Getting the tank out required a crow bar and it is really a tight fit. SUCCESS FINALLY without disaster - THANKS ALL.

Trying to check all bases I good quotes of new tank prices exceeding $650.00 - wow. I must say it is not thin sheet metal, it is quite hardy - seems well made. The first radiator shop I contacted wanted $300 + to clean it and seal it and no guarantee. The second was under $200 and they explained to me that the liner will be gone is less than three years in diesel. They went on to say that if it was gas, the liner only lasts a year or less - our gas additive eats the liner - lifts it. When the liner lifts - thats removal time again - no good. I am trying a industrial radiator shop next and there are no bed liner shops that work with tanks here in the Phoenix area.

So, ... onward. I have through all this found out that many of the Cat parts are the same as the Kioti and at a considerable savings. And I do mean considerable. They don't have a furl tank for this vintage however. JFYI. More as we progress!

/ Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please #17  
You've gone through quite a struggle to get the tank out; I hope you find a good, affordable fix for it.
For other owners, I haven't double-checked, but I was SURE the tank in my 2006 DK45 was plastic. Am I imagining this?
BOB

/ Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please #18  
A member who posts owns a Mahindra I believe replaced his tank with one a friend or Machine shop fabricated out of stainless steel for him. You may want to see what a Machine Shop will construct one out of Stainless for.

/ Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please #19  
might want to try the por15.com gas tank kit to coat the inside of the tank. expensive but they seem to work.

You've gone through quite a struggle to get the tank out; I hope you find a good, affordable fix for it.
For other owners, I haven't double-checked, but I was SURE the tank in my 2006 DK45 was plastic. Am I imagining this?
BOB

More than likely yours is plastic as I believe all new tanks are (ie some combination of compounds to address rusting). More than likely your fuel tank might extract like a Cat - through the dash area or away from the motor. the new Cat's are all plastic something or other and they extract that way - at least from what I saw yesterday.

I am trying all avenues. Really donot want to put a new one in unless I have to. Thanks ALL!

What surprises me is that there is no business here ready and able to fix this - I found 2 shops that will look at it and that is tomorrow since I am 65 miles from Phoenix. Things sure do change don't they!

Just checked with my Auto Parts extrodinaire person and the POR15 is his recommendation as well since all the shops he used no longer work on fuel tanks. So I am going to order that shortly.

Last edited: