Oil & Fuel Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please

/ Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please #1  

Arizona Rancher

Tractor
Kioti DK40
I have a Kioti DK40 and the fuel tank rusted and it clogs the fuel filter after less than an hour of use. So bad the engine killed. I am trying to remove the fuel tank. I have the top, sides, and all nuts and bolts holding what I can see of the fuel tamk and it will not come out. I just received a schematic of the fuel tank from Kioti (mine is a 2000) and it looks like I have everything loose. I also have the parts manual and the shop manual and they do not address fuel tank removal. It will not budge. Does anyone have a suggestion or experience in this area?

Last edited:
   / Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please #2  
I don't know if this will help. The attached is pages from current Bobcat CT440 (DK40) serivce manual.

Attachments

• ct440-ct445-ct450 6987079 sm 8-11.pdf
    585.2 KB · Views: 303
   / Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please
Thanks. While I think I did basically that. Tomorrow in the daylight I will double check. There is a ~2 inch by ~3/4 inch bar that the fuel tank was attached to. I removed the attaching bolts and the 2 attached to the frame on both sides at the bottom of the tractor. But I can't rotate it forward to remove it. There is a bar (~2 x 4 inches) over the top of it and it won't rotate out of that things way so I can remove that. The firewall is loose but will not pull out or slide sideways. This is truly frustrating. Thanks for the pdf.

Hello. Todays another day. The frame (~2 inches by ~3/4 inch goes completely around the fuel tank. One might think that the unit tips out. Not the case. Two more bolts on each side (need a bendable coupler) need to be removed. Now it is loose and moves but there is more and more is tomorrow when I figure out how to finally get it out. No wonder the Kioti "engineers" didn't include a diagram for the removal in the shop manual (which I have), they couldn't figure out how to explain how, but that is just a guess(?)!

/ Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please #5  
Do you have a DK40se or DK40? I'm guessing it is a pre 2007 DK rather than a newer DKse series. If so the Bobcat 440 diagrams are wrong as they are the DKse generation.

I have a 2000 DK40. The .pdf was helpful as such. Yes my DK40 (NO SE) is different than the .pdf shows but it still helped. I still have to get the tank out but it moves side to side and forward and backward and something is still in the way. Going out to work on it now.

/ Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please #7  
Don't know if this will help ya but when I split my '06 CK30 to replace the clutch, I discovered that there is a couple of bolts holding the bottom of the fuel tank "frame" to the rear of engine just above the flywheel. These bolts are accessible thru holes in the firewall behind the steering column.

Your DK40 may or may not have this set up but it might be worth checking.

Thanks. I have the fuel tank totally loose. The "Frame" around it has four bolts on each side and at first I totally missed the "bottom" two bolts. To get the fire wall out I have to take parts off the top of the engine. Minor. So now I have the firewall pulled up and on top of the motor and the fuel tank is ready to come out I THINK. EXCEPT, there is this ROD on the drivers left side (see attachment pdf of three photos) that goes through the fuel tank frame preventing removal of the fuel tank. The pin holding the rod to some piece has the head of the pin towards the alternator which prevents its removal. Screwed again.

So the question is if I cut the pin will the rod move out of the way or what? I.e., once disconnected will it move up freely or how do I get this out of the way to remove the fuel tank? Anyone have any insight to help? And yes this is Arizona and we are dusty dusty.

Attachments

• DK40.pdf
    393.6 KB · Views: 214
   / Fuel Tank Removal HELP Please #9  
Thanks. I have the fuel tank totally loose. The "Frame" around it has four bolts on each side and at first I totally missed the "bottom" two bolts. To get the fire wall out I have to take parts off the top of the engine. Minor. So now I have the firewall pulled up and on top of the motor and the fuel tank is ready to come out I THINK. EXCEPT, there is this ROD on the drivers left side (see attachment pdf of three photos) that goes through the fuel tank frame preventing removal of the fuel tank. The pin holding the rod to some piece has the head of the pin towards the alternator which prevents its removal. Screwed again.

So the question is if I cut the pin will the rod move out of the way or what? I.e., once disconnected will it move up freely or how do I get this out of the way to remove the fuel tank? Anyone have any insight to help? And yes this is Arizona and we are dusty dusty.

Missed the 2nd and 3rd pic at first; now I can see what I missed in first pic- that is NOT the alternator, it's the starter. If you cut the pin and insert a new one after the repair you might be able to reverse the pin so the end with the cotter pin which passes through it to hold it in place is facing the left side of the tractor instead of the engine, hard to tell from here if there is enough space; but worst case you could remove the starter to accomplish the task as a last resort, after trying other things first....
I would guess you might be able to tip the tank away from the firewall enough to get it by the bar?
Keep plugging- you'll get it! Remember, if it went together it has to be able to come apart too. If that doesn't work fall back to whatever won't come apart just needs a bigger hammer, or 'fire axe' Aussie for torch!:laughing:

Curious, how did the tank rust out?
And I believe you should be able to get that tank repaired for life by any quality tank repair place who has access to a company that repairs tanks by cleaning them, then applying a special coating to the inside of the tank and then gives you a lifetime guarantee- much cheaper in most instances than a new tank which could also rot out over time. Linux truck bed coating may offer this service in your area- check around.
I had this done to my pickup tank years ago and it worked great- but the rest of the truck rotted out :(