CK25 will not start

/ CK25 will not start
Going on vacation so I will try when I get back. Just to make sure we are same page. Tractor did not quit while running. Instead, I turned it off and tried starting it 5 mins later. I did have a flaky terminal on the battery. Thought that was the issue. Replaced the battery and positive terminal. Tractor still did not start even with glow light (on then going off) and all other ignition lights ok. That's what then led me down the path of it being a fuel related issue.

/ CK25 will not start #62  
Just to make sure we are same page. Tractor did not quit while running. Instead, I turned it off and tried starting it 5 mins later.

Econ: I think we are on the same page

The two things I think of when "ran fine, turned off, won't restart" happens are glow plugs and IP. Glow plugs because they aren't needed to keep the engine running, only to get it started except if the engine is still hot it will usually start even without glow. The IP because the stop solenoid forces the rack to the full-off position, abruptly and forcibly. There are multiple reports on this site of confirmed IP damage following engine shutdown.

I tossed out the delivery valve theory because they are easy to check and multiple delivery valve spring failures have been reported here. If that's not the problem you'll need to pull the IP. Reinstalling delivery valves on the IP can be tricky but if the IP is toast anyway, who cares.

Finally a disclaimer: I am not a tractor mechanic but I've owned and maintained a couple old Mercedes Diesel cars and there is a lot of similarity.

/ CK25 will not start #63  
Going on vacation so I will try when I get back. Just to make sure we are same page. Tractor did not quit while running. Instead, I turned it off and tried starting it 5 mins later. I did have a flaky terminal on the battery. Thought that was the issue. Replaced the battery and positive terminal. Tractor still did not start even with glow light (on then going off) and all other ignition lights ok. That's what then led me down the path of it being a fuel related issue.

That is how my tractor did also. Had been using it to rack and bale hay most the day. Backed it into metal building, turned it off to disconnect baler, then tried to restart to move to different place in building and nothing. However have successfully removed IP two days ago and verified rack was stuck in off position. After turning IP upside down it freed the rack and could move a couple of times before sticking in full on position. Then found a very thin piece of metal on rack teeth that liked just like one of the tiny teeth on the control gears that move the plunger/cylinder in the IP. So i feel for sure now that i have broken teeth on control gear.

Question Scott,
The contol gear teeth and rack appear to be exposed to outside engine oil not fuel. If this is correct how could this defect be related to "bad fuel".

Hope this will help u Econ99. and hope yours is just air trapped somewhere.

thanks

/ CK25 will not start #64  
The contol gear teeth and rack appear to be exposed to outside engine oil not fuel. If this is correct how could this defect be related to "bad fuel".

Real good question. All the stuff in the bottom of the IP (cams, tappets, rack and gears) is lubed by engine oil. I don't know if it's just splash or if there are oil galleries, but it's engine oil. The plungers and their cylinders are lubed by fuel only. The plungers and their cylinders are matched sets fitted to very close tolerances so poor fuel lubrication (or debris in fuel) can really damage these precision parts. But fuel quality has nothing to do with lubrication/wear/failure of the rack or fuel control gear teeth. So all this talk about fuel quality and additives is not related to IP gear/rack tooth failures. Fuel additives may reduce wear in the top parts of the IP and can prevent microbe growth in the tank so they have value. But your problem was not caused by fuel.

/ CK25 will not start #65  
Real good question. All the stuff in the bottom of the IP (cams, tappets, rack and gears) is lubed by engine oil. I don't know if it's just splash or if there are oil galleries, but it's engine oil. The plungers and their cylinders are lubed by fuel only. The plungers and their cylinders are matched sets fitted to very close tolerances so poor fuel lubrication (or debris in fuel) can really damage these precision parts. But fuel quality has nothing to do with lubrication/wear/failure of the rack or fuel control gear teeth. So all this talk about fuel quality and additives is not related to IP gear/rack tooth failures. Fuel additives may reduce wear in the top parts of the IP and can prevent microbe growth in the tank so they have value. But your problem was not caused by fuel.

Thats what I feel also, but my husband made a good point. He wondered if it was possible for "low sulfur fuel" to cause the plunger/cylinder to stick(not enough lub) thus causing the rack and/or control gear teeth to push harder causing wear on teeth till over time teeth break? However, we both feel if this were the case you should notice a difference in power and performance because it should effect amount and timing of fuel when the plunger/cylinder would hypothectically get stuck. Not sure if any other parts in this valve assembly could be related to direct force on the rack and control gear teeth.

/ CK25 will not start #66  
Hey all,
We have a diesel shop repair our pumps all the time. The gears on some of them were hardened too hard and made brittle. These are bosch type pumps(copies) and the Bosch parts do fit them. Ask your dealer to check on warranty if you are not too far out...they sometimes make acceptions on parts. Anyway it is worth a try.
Dave G.
KiotiDave

/ CK25 will not start #67  
Thanks for that info Dave. Curious about the typical cost of these repairs (to repair pump only, not removal and reassembly) and also if the repaired pumps seem to be holding up.

Also, I'd be really interested to get your sense on which models/years are most affected by the bad gears. I have a 2008 DK40SE... wondering if a new pump or pump repair is likely to be in my future.

Thanks!

/ CK25 will not start #68  
Hi,
We have never had to have a do-over on any of our pumps that we get repaired. Unfortunately, I cannot guess at which timeframe or run of pumps were in this category. They seem to pop up every once in a great while. We may have done 8-10 out of 900+ tractors. Pretty low odds.
Dave G.
KiotiDave

/ CK25 will not start #69  
When the key is "on" an electrical solenoid is supposed to overcome this spring and retract the rod; only then can the rack move freely. So the stop solenoid should be removed to ensure the rack is free to move.

When you have that cover off, you'll see a "pin" with springs and levers. The pin is attached to the rack. The springs and levers act on this pin to move the rack to inject more or less fuel depending on "throttle" position and engine rpm. The so-called "throttle" actually sets the rpm via a balance between the centrifugal governor force and the spring force from the throttle linkage.

But the bottom line is this: if the rack is jammed (with the stop solenoid removed) there's something wring inside the IP.

Scott, the portion of your statement underlined... What do you mean they "act" on the pin? I started a post before I realized this post was all about this topic. If you can visit it and look at the picture that looks inside at the IP there is the pin and rack you are referring too... I placed a squared end pick in there and can move it around that pin labeled 4. Nothing is connected to it. Are you saying something should be?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/255565-ck30-injection-pump.html

Boy this is insane! I have the same problem it sounds like too. We all need to call Kioti, this is not a cheap part from the sounds of it.

/ CK25 will not start
Well it's time to bring it to the professionals or dump the dang thing. Glow plugs are ok. Re-examined internals of IP. Everything slides back and forth appropriately. Cracked line at cylinder head nearest the firewall. No luck. I just can't get a good flow. No pressure. Really not much coming out only little spurts now and then.

So guess it's time to replace the IP which may be out of my comfort zone. My question is: I know I am going to pay a $1000 dollars or so, but am I putting in another pump that might go in 225hrs (the same amount of hours on tractor now)?

Wondering if I should just sell this thing as is and put a down payment on something else....(bit frustrated).

Thanks for all your help so far.