Oil pan drain plug gasket questions

/ Oil pan drain plug gasket questions #1  

BTF

I'm doing the second oil change on my CK-20HST. I did the first change myself and had a friend watch and double check my work. I do not recall seeing a gasket on the oil pan drain plug. I do recall that the drain plug was remarkable easy to remove though.

There was no leak.

On this go round, I am sure I did not drop anything in the pan or in the surrounding area.

So the question is was I just lucky that I didn't have a leak? What does the gasket look like? Is a rubber or a copper crush type?

Finally, Can I get a gasket at NAPA or do I need to get to a dealer for an official gasket?

Thanks for any light that you can shed.

Bruce

/ Oil pan drain plug gasket questions #2  
Drain plug washers are usually a copper non-crush ring.

/ Oil pan drain plug gasket questions #3  
Drain plug washers are usually a copper non-crush
ring.
===========

I have been changing the oil on my CK-20 (850 hours) for the entire 4 years. It was purchased brand new and it came with a rubber gasket on the engine oil drain plug. I put it back in finger tight and then give it a quarter turn with a wrench.

The oil drain plug has a long threaded drain and it appears to be quite a bit of thread to thread contact. I am not surprised the plug does not leak with no gasket. So far as replacing or adding a washer to the drain plug, you could just find a suitable fibre or rubber or copper no crush and have satisfactory no leak service

rimshot

/ Oil pan drain plug gasket questions
Mystery solved.

In the brighter light of day and a broaden area of search.,I found the rubber washer (with the orange paint on the edge}. New rule. use light color rags. I picked up the plug with a dark colored rag and it caught in the rag and was carried outside the close-in work area.

Thanks to those who took the time to reply.

Bruce

/ Oil pan drain plug gasket questions #6  
Most important to not over tighten the drain pan bolt /washer/seal. This can be worse than a leak to repair. Screw bolt in by hand, then tighten until snug with a wrench. Fill crankcase with proper oil and make sure oil filter gasket is on the old filter and not stuck to the engine. Apply thin film of oil to new oil filter gasket and hand tighten only 'till tight. Run engine- check for leaks. Shut engine off and wait for oil to settle into pan; then recheck to make sure oil level is correct.
Make a record of the oil type and how much and date and hours on tractor.
Done 'till next time.

/ Oil pan drain plug gasket questions #7  
When i do oil changes on my equipment i use a paint stick and write the hours and date when done on the end of the filter, then its always visable. . .John

/ Oil pan drain plug gasket questions #8  
When i do oil changes on my equipment i use a paint stick and write the hours and date when done on the end of the filter, then its always visable. . .John

I don't understand what the stick does?

/ Oil pan drain plug gasket questions #9  
I think he means a paint pen that writes on anything. Usually has a shaker ball in it much like a mini paint can but has a pen tip. I usually just use a Sharpie type pen to write hours and date on filters.

/ Oil pan drain plug gasket questions #10  
I think he means a paint pen that writes on anything. Usually has a shaker ball in it much like a mini paint can but has a pen tip. I usually just use a Sharpie type pen to write hours and date on filters.

OK, I get it! I was picturing a paint stirring stick:laughing:
Now it makes sense.