Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BTF

Default Oil pan drain plug gasket questions

I'm doing the second oil change on my CK-20HST. I did the first change myself and had a friend watch and double check my work. I do not recall seeing a gasket on the oil pan drain plug. I do recall that the drain plug was remarkable easy to remove though.

There was no leak.

On this go round, I am sure I did not drop anything in the pan or in the surrounding area.

So the question is was I just lucky that I didn't have a leak? What does the gasket look like? Is a rubber or a copper crush type?

Finally, Can I get a gasket at NAPA or do I need to get to a dealer for an official gasket?

Thanks for any light that you can shed.

Bruce

Default Re: Oil pan drain plug gasket questions

Drain plug washers are usually a copper non-crush ring.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 (S) HST

Quote Originally Posted by IH3444 View Post
    Drain plug washers are usually a copper non-crush
    ring.
    ===========

I have been changing the oil on my CK-20 (850 hours) for the entire 4 years. It was purchased brand new and it came with a rubber gasket on the engine oil drain plug. I put it back in finger tight and then give it a quarter turn with a wrench.

The oil drain plug has a long threaded drain and it appears to be quite a bit of thread to thread contact. I am not surprised the plug does not leak with no gasket. So far as replacing or adding a washer to the drain plug, you could just find a suitable fibre or rubber or copper no crush and have satisfactory no leak service

rimshot
    CK20(s) HST , snow blower, hoe, FEL

Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

Looks like some sort of seal (#8)

OEM Parts
    Scott
    Kioti DK45S, KL451 loader, Howse 601S cutter, Phoenix M72S mower

BTF

Mystery solved.

In the brighter light of day and a broaden area of search.,I found the rubber washer (with the orange paint on the edge}. New rule. use light color rags. I picked up the plug with a dark colored rag and it caught in the rag and was carried outside the close-in work area.

Thanks to those who took the time to reply.

Bruce

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Most important to not over tighten the drain pan bolt /washer/seal. This can be worse than a leak to repair. Screw bolt in by hand, then tighten until snug with a wrench. Fill crankcase with proper oil and make sure oil filter gasket is on the old filter and not stuck to the engine. Apply thin film of oil to new oil filter gasket and hand tighten only 'till tight. Run engine- check for leaks. Shut engine off and wait for oil to settle into pan; then recheck to make sure oil level is correct.
    Make a record of the oil type and how much and date and hours on tractor.
    Done 'till next time.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (with reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger system. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2810 HST, Kioti DK35SE HST

When i do oil changes on my equipment i use a paint stick and write the hours and date when done on the end of the filter, then its always visable. . .John
    Lord, Help me to be the man my dog thinks i am . . .John. Mahindra 2810HST, 108H loader with Quick tach buckets and forks. Kioti DK35SE HST with loader, Hyd. top link and second set of rear remotes, 60" and 66" buckets, Kubota 900 RTV and a bunch of other good stuff
    Buy more equipment, It makes life easier.!

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by jpm1 View Post
    When i do oil changes on my equipment i use a paint stick and write the hours and date when done on the end of the filter, then its always visable. . .John
    I don't understand what the stick does?
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (with reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger system. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    CK25HST FEL

I think he means a paint pen that writes on anything. Usually has a shaker ball in it much like a mini paint can but has a pen tip. I usually just use a Sharpie type pen to write hours and date on filters.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by 1wheeler1 View Post
    I think he means a paint pen that writes on anything. Usually has a shaker ball in it much like a mini paint can but has a pen tip. I usually just use a Sharpie type pen to write hours and date on filters.
    OK, I get it! I was picturing a paint stirring stick
    Now it makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast