Skid plate

/ Skid plate #31  
Other than the differences in the machines, you have the issues of shipping.
Thats why very few companies do it and it is limited to local pick up.
All the costs add up quick.

BTI

Fair point but I think it would be possible to come up with a single pattern for DK40/45/50 and another for CK27/30/35 as those tractors really are identical except for the engine displacement (?is that right for the CK).

I'd imagine that 1/4 inch steel max or maybe even 12gauge would be adequate to protect the soft underbelly for most purposes. It just has to deflect and prevent snagging. That sort of steel is not so terribly heavy.

Shipping some metal plates that probably weigh in total 100lbs or so is not outrageous these days. I've had shippers like UPS drop off skidsteer receiver plates on my front porch that weigh considerably more than brush guards would. I shipped a 80-100lb backhoe ripper by dropping it off at a local UPS office too.

If one of you dealers worked out a pattern and had a local metal shop crank out a few dozen sets I'm sure you could sell them for a profit. Lots of new owners who might not even really need skidplates would probably opt to get them. You could also package them with replacement filter mounts for the guys who didn't install them to begin with.:laughing: Even other dealers might buy them to add as aftermarket add ons.

/ Skid plate #32  
Sorry for the slow reply, we are in New Zeland and in remote areas internet isn't always available.
We won't be home until the middle of April and I would be more than willing to supply the the dimensions or drawings at that time. Thanks for your complements.

/ Skid plate #33  
Sorry for the slow reply, we are in New Zeland and in remote areas internet isn't always available.
We won't be home until the middle of April and I would be more than willing to supply the the dimensions or drawings at that time. Thanks for your complements.

And that's why I love this site, people willing to share their ideas and provide a helping hand when needed.

Really nice fab work Bob! :thumbsup:

/ Skid plate #34  
Thanks Bob, Great looking plates..

/ Skid plate #35  
.......and 1/4 inch steel needs no packaging, slap a shipping label on it and go. It will arrive scuffed up though:eek:

/ Skid plate #37  

Hi Bob,
I for one can wait till you return stateside for actual fabrication of some plates and s/h etc. Would you be willing to make up some sets for some of us TBNers? Please say YES! We'll make it worth your time.( I hear Island Tractor offered to pay for my set at a minimum.... ( he, he,;) )
Please let us know, thanks Bob.

/ Skid plate #38  
Hi Bob,
I for one can wait till you return stateside for actual fabrication of some plates and s/h etc. Would you be willing to make up some sets for some of us TBNers? Please say YES! We'll make it worth your time.( I hear Island Tractor offered to pay for my set at a minimum.... ( he, he,;) )
Please let us know, thanks Bob.

Rumor has it Island Tractor is buying for everybody, Yeaaaaa :D

/ Skid plate #39  
murphy1244 said:
Rumor has it Island Tractor is buying for everybody, Yeaaaaa :D

Not quite but I did run out to Harbor Freight to buy a 20 ton press so I can try to make a set myself. I bet we could even come up with some simple designs that just need sheet metal or 1/4" plate with some strategically placed and welded angle iron to form the type of guard Bob fabricated. Angle grinder or metal saw plus a drill is all you'd really need. Press and plasma cutter would allow fabricating a more professional looking product but who is looking under the tractor anyways.

I'm still in winter mode for a couple of weeks so am not near my tractor but maybe around the time Bob resurfaces from down under I'll be ready to go. I hope he has detailed drawings as that would save time. No promises but if these things are as simple to cut out and weld up as I think I'd be happy to knock off extra sets for cost of material, shipping and undying gratitude.

On the other hand, if a TBN dealer decided to offer a bolt on kit I might just buy one instead.

/ Skid plate #40  
"No promises but if these things are as simple to cut out and weld up as I think I'd be happy to knock off extra sets for cost of material, shipping and undying gratitude"

Your a good man IT, Count me in for a set. :thumbsup: