Tractor
    JD4300, Kioti DK65S

Default Changing Hydraulic Oil Filter on DK65

I noticed hydraulic fluid on the ground beneath the Hydraulic Oil Filters on my DK65. Must I drain the entire 15 gallons in the transmission to change the filters?
    Gringo Viejo

Silver Member

Default Re: Changing Hydraulic Oil Filter on DK65

No you don't ... but be prepared with a clean bucket so you can reuse the fluid ... it comes out FAST once the filter comes off!
    Chuck

Tractor
    JD4300, Kioti DK65S

How much will come out when the filter is removed? i.e. How big should the bucket be?

Thanks.
    Gringo Viejo

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

What is your thinking as to why there is fluid beneath both filters?
    Just changing the filters won't solve a hydraulic leak(s).
    What do you believe to be the cause of the leak(s). Is it possible a hydraulic line or fitting is leaking/ ruptured?

Hydraulic filters are not cheap, before you go changing them make sure you know- if possible, where the leak is coming from...

Rather than try to reuse fluid which has drained out I'd just catch the fluid in a large oil drain pan and then refill the trans based on what drained out. And make sure to check it again after filling it to make sure its up to the mark on the stick. If you're quick about getting each filter back on you should not loose any significant amount of fluid just changing filters. It's when you drain the fluid from the drain plugs that it is near impossible to stop the flow or reinsert the drain plug - but according to what I understood that is NOT what you are trying to do.
    Post back what your thinking is as to location of leak(s) before proceeding further.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, KL-401 FEL, (reversible cutting edge), Titan Tree Shear. 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter. HLA Series 2000 7' plow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

2015 Husky AWD Rider 322T Combi 103 deck. Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss.

Tractor
    Caterpillar 277

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo_Viejo View Post
    I noticed hydraulic fluid on the ground beneath the Hydraulic Oil Filters on my DK65. Must I drain the entire 15 gallons in the transmission to change the filters?
    I bet one or both of your filters are a little loose causing a leak. Lay on your back and reach up there and see if you can tighten them by hand.

I cut a plastic 55 gallon drum down to about 16" tall and it works perfect for catching all 15 gallons.
    2002 Kioti DK65 SOLD
    2006 Country Clipper "Charger"
    Caterpillar 277