Uh Oh, potential problem already on my CK20S at 17.5 hrs

/ Uh Oh, potential problem already on my CK20S at 17.5 hrs #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Just noticed an oil leak yesterday, coming from somewhere to the left of the clutch, behind the cover beneath the steering column. It's a slow drip, only while running, but I'm worried about how long it's (potentially) been there. My fluid levels are fine (on the 2 dip sticks) and there are no trouble lights on.

I called the dealership and they said to bring it in, and that whatever the problem is, it would be covered under warranty. My concern is that on a new motor like this (I've only had it for 2 weeks) is there any worry about potential damage that might result after the warranty period expires?

I'm not sure where (specifically) the drip is coming from... and it seems to be a near clear oil/fluid. I snapped a few Pics - anyone wanna guess at the cause?

I'm also frustrated that I'll have to drop it off for repairs, as I an in the middle off a project and need it!

ForumRunner_20120413_202048.png

ForumRunner_20120413_202056.png

Thoughts?

/ Uh Oh, potential problem already on my CK20S at 17.5 hrs
ForumRunner_20120413_202357.png

ForumRunner_20120413_202407.png

---- sorry, didn't think the photos uploaded the first time (using my phone)

/ Uh Oh, potential problem already on my CK20S at 17.5 hrs #3  
Since you mention that the fluid is clear, i think hydraulic fluid, could just be a loose fitting on the steering unit.

/ Uh Oh, potential problem already on my CK20S at 17.5 hrs #4  
Since you mention that the fluid is clear, i think hydraulic fluid, could just be a loose fitting on the steering unit.

I'd guess that too. With 17.5 hours, your engine oil is like new but not totally clear as is the hyd fluid. I had a lose fel hyd line on mine. Easier to get to though. Other than taking it in, don't panic until they look at it. Maybe see if they will be willing to look at it when you arrive. It could be a quick fix and you'll be heading right home with it.

Is that something the dealer puts together when they take it out of the box, but didn't do correctly....? OR is it a manufacturing error?

/ Uh Oh, potential problem already on my CK20S at 17.5 hrs #6  
Just noticed an oil leak yesterday, coming from somewhere to the left of the clutch, behind the cover beneath the steering column. It's a slow drip, only while running, but I'm worried about how long it's (potentially) been there. My fluid levels are fine (on the 2 dip sticks) and there are no trouble lights on.

I called the dealership and they said to bring it in, and that whatever the problem is, it would be covered under warranty. My concern is that on a new motor like this (I've only had it for 2 weeks) is there any worry about potential damage that might result after the warranty period expires?

I'm not sure where (specifically) the drip is coming from... and it seems to be a near clear oil/fluid. I snapped a few Pics - anyone wanna guess at the cause?

I'm also frustrated that I'll have to drop it off for repairs, as I an in the middle off a project and need it!

View attachment 260611

View attachment 260612

Thoughts?

Had the same thing happen on my CK30 not long after buying but a little worse.......it was just a loose presser hose fitting where it attaches to the bottom of the steering shaft, tightened it and hasn't leaked since.

DirtHauler said:
Had the same thing happen on my CK30 not long after buying but a little worse.......it was just a loose presser hose fitting where it attaches to the bottom of the steering shaft, tightened it and hasn't leaked since.

OK, maybe I'll just check it myself. I'm new to the tractor world... any chance someone here could direct me to that so I can check it tomorrow?

/ Uh Oh, potential problem already on my CK20S at 17.5 hrs #8  
If you do have to take it in and leave it I would ask for a loner unit!:thumbsup:

/ Uh Oh, potential problem already on my CK20S at 17.5 hrs #9  
OK, maybe I'll just check it myself. I'm new to the tractor world... any chance someone here could direct me to that so I can check it tomorrow?

I don't have the CK20s but here is a link to the parts/schematic of the power steering unit. This may get you in the right direction. OEM Parts

OK, took some of the panels off today and found that the bottom of the steering column is where it looks to be coming from. There are 5 or so bolts there, holding on a type of cap, with maybe a gasket in there as well. The bolts are difficult to get gripped onto, but they all seem tight. My guess now is that they must have overtightened the bolts and pinched the gasket, or, maybe stripped something out... either way, it's difficult to pin point exactly where the leak is coming from.

Where is the reservoir for filling that fluid? Does it have it's own spot for PS fluid, out does it use the hydraulic oil?