dk 40 gear hydraulic whine

/ dk 40 gear hydraulic whine #1  

carpenter383

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE
Recently my dk40 gear tractor started whining anytime the hydraulics are under a load (power steering, fel or 3ph) It whines at all rpms and the whine gets louder at higher rpms. It has 258 hrs on it and I just changed the fluid and filter which didn't help. I also checked the fittings and they're all tight. The vent is clear too. The tractor has never been operated with the remote lever stuck in a detent btw. It dosen't whine when it's first started, but starts whining after a very short time of operating. Does anyone have any ideas? How can I go about testing the hydraulic pump? TIA

/ dk 40 gear hydraulic whine #2  
It has been reported that using the fully synthetic Amsoil hydrostatic fluid will reduce hydro whine. Kubota sells a full synthetic also. Hydros do whine.

/ dk 40 gear hydraulic whine #3  
   / dk 40 gear hydraulic whine
My tractor is not hydrostat it's a gear shift
Thanks for the link victor I'll check it out

/ dk 40 gear hydraulic whine #5  
My tractor is not hydrostat it's a gear shift
Thanks for the link victor I'll check it out

It sounds like you are experiencing the same thing I am. After about 10 hours mine started to get a little noisey. I am not concerned because all of my functions operate normally, hot or cold. Gear pump noise is usually related to a suction problem, you did replace the big filter correct? Some noise is normal but I would run it awhile then look at your fliud and see if it is areated, if it is then you have a air leak on the suction side. To test a pump you need a flow tester, any decent hydraulic shop should have one. CJ

Thanks for the reply cj, yes I changed the big filter. The magnet did have some fine metal shavings on it maybe 1/8 in thick, i'm not sure what would be normal after aprox. 200 hrs? I checked all the fittings I could find and they're all tight plus it dosen't have any fluid leaks. I'm not sure how I could tell if the fluid was airated because you can't see into the reservoir.

/ dk 40 gear hydraulic whine #7  
Thanks for the reply cj, yes I changed the big filter. The magnet did have some fine metal shavings on it maybe 1/8 in thick, i'm not sure what would be normal after aprox. 200 hrs? I checked all the fittings I could find and they're all tight plus it dosen't have any fluid leaks. I'm not sure how I could tell if the fluid was airated because you can't see into the reservoir.

If it is a air problem you should see it on the dipstick or with a flashlight the oil will look milky instead of clear in the res. CJ

/ dk 40 gear hydraulic whine #8  

Yea after doing my 50 hour service, there is no way to see in the res other than a bore scope. The flashlight shining into the oil on the dipstick will let you see any air bubbles. Check your suction lines on the gear pump just to be sure. CJ

Yea after doing my 50 hour service, there is no way to see in the res other than a bore scope. The flashlight shining into the oil on the dipstick will let you see any air bubbles. Check your suction lines on the gear pump just to be sure. CJ

Ok I didn't see any air bubbles on the dipstick, I need to check over the lines again, for some reason it seems the worst when using the power steering now :confused:

/ dk 40 gear hydraulic whine #10  
Ok I didn't see any air bubbles on the dipstick, I need to check over the lines again, for some reason it seems the worst when using the power steering now :confused:

If it is any consolation mine was bad last night when using the steering but it was loaded heavy with firewood. Hardly any noise empty. I know in my case it is just normal hyd pump noise. These things run so quiet that you can hear more than usual. I am still amazed that there is almost 0 noise from the hydrostat. You can't tell a difference even when it goes to relief. I wish I could hear yours. CJ