Overtight range shift lever

/ Overtight range shift lever #1  

cgraham

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti LB1914
The range selection lever on my LB 1941 has gone tight on me. I have to get off the tractor and use 2 hands and all my strength to shift between LO-HI range.

When the problem first developed, I discovered the transmission fluid was low (don't know why - no leaks, always was right on level until I forgot to check it regularly).

Added Tx oil, and the lever loosened right up for a few weeks, and seemed normal. Now it has become as stiff as ever (and oil level still OK).

This is NOT a gear-meshing problem.

400 hr on tractor. Haven't changed transmission oil since the initial required change because it still looks like new, & oil filter is clean.

Anyone have any ideas on this problem? Thanks!

/ Overtight range shift lever #2  
You don't base your fluid change schedules on how the fluid "looks". If the schedule says to change it, then change it.

After that report back to tell us whether that fixed it or maybe your custom maintenance schedule could have damaged your machine.

/ Overtight range shift lever #3  
You don't base your fluid change schedules on how the fluid "looks". If the schedule says to change it, then change it.
I do.
I ran my last hydraulic oil change for 800 hours and it still looked like new. I think I'll run 1000 hours this time before I change it.

/ Overtight range shift lever #4  
Try the simple things first.
Look over your linkage and check for binding.
Spray all you linkage with penetrating oil. Especially where the linkage/shaft goes into the transmission housing and see if that helps.
I've read about this issue before and thats all it needed to solve the problem.
Can't hurt to try it.

/ Overtight range shift lever
Perhaps I should simply ask if anyone has experienced or corrected this problem.

This restatement might avoid the Topic getting sidetracked by needless sarcasm and a fluid change frequency debate.

However, an experienced Full Time operator told me that he did not believe that 100 hrs overdue on a routine hydraulic fluid change would be close to critical. A hydraulic oil change might conceivably solve the problem, nevertheless. Or perhaps filling the crank case with a thinner oil (but NOT circulating it)?

DK35Vince: Thank you for all your comments. The linkage is all in the crankcase, so I don't know if the binding is inside or at the lever pivot which is built into the transmission housing, and which appears very well sealed on the outside. However, I'll blast it with WD-40 and a few other things and see what happens.

Cranky

/ Overtight range shift lever #6  
However, an experienced Full Time operator told me that he did not believe that 100 hrs overdue on a routine hydraulic fluid change would be close to critical. A hydraulic oil change might conceivably solve the problem, nevertheless.
I've worked in construction for many years.
The machines that I'm around, pavers, skid steers, rollers, compactors, high lfts, backhoes, road chippers, Ect. rarely see a hydraulic oil change.
The filters get changed every year, but not the oil.
Why these tractors would need the hydraulic oil changed after only 3 or 400 hours I will never know.
I change the hydraulic filter every 3 or 400 hours, but I'm sure not planning on changing the oil that often.