DK-40 Skidplate for chassis!

/ DK-40 Skidplate for chassis! #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
I know IT and Murphy 1224 and I have been trying to figure out from "Bob's" design how to make hydraulic filter and other critical underbelly component protection shields. (I was seeking, initially, for Bob to possibly make up some of his original design, for those of us who would be willing to buy from him). Now I'm more inclined to go with a full undercarriage 'plate' with access to critical components like filters, for changing, etc., as are others who seek the same 'holy grail'. I have an idea on how to accomplish this without having to use a heavy metal diamond-plate or similar material. I suggest considering expanded metal in the proper gauge to provide adequate protection without the weight factor of something like diamond-plate, etc. I think it would work, could provide adequate protection to the entire underbelly of the tractor and could be reinforced in certain critical spots to deter possible damage from any item that would manage to penetrate the holes in the expanded metal.
I believe it could be lightweight enough to install fairly easily, would allow for removal when and if necessary, and could cover most if not all of the underside while providing enough protection, short of going to full body armor from intrusion by rocks and branches, etc.
Thought on this approach?

/ DK-40 Skidplate for chassis! #2  
I just don't think expanded metal will give the deflection needed. Sticks are going to jam into it, get caught and either snap off, or worse, push on through. What gets snagged will drag around on the ground making a racket. I really think is should be smooth metal...just my opinion.

/ DK-40 Skidplate for chassis! #3  
I don't disagree w/ M7 but what about taking both ideas (protection, deflection) and trying this......double the expanded metal and lay it out so it is off-set. You decrease the opening size and add another layer of protection....more resistance to penetration. Granted, you still have an opening and stuff will get caught in the openings but like I said....its an idea.:)

/ DK-40 Skidplate for chassis!
I don't disagree w/ M7 but what about taking both ideas (protection, deflection) and trying this......double the expanded metal and lay it out so it is off-set. You decrease the opening size and add another layer of protection....more resistance to penetration. Granted, you still have an opening and stuff will get caught in the openings but like I said....its an idea.:)

Yes, I agree with the possible downside of this material, however, as I stated some critical areas could be reinforced, with a 90 degree section of the same material/ga. OR with a heavier duty solid plate, for instance, near the hydraulic filter and other critical areas. I was so tired when I posted last night I could barely put one word in front of another- but I wanted to get the ball rolling for us to start brainstorming about....
I'm no expert in expanded metal but I will throw this into the ring...
How about a heavier layer as the main layer with a liter ga. wired in place/ tack welded? in place UNDER the main layer? This would allow more protection from things pushing through to prevent damage and would hopefully be lighter than solid metal of any type.

Motor 7,

I saw the thread you linked to in one of my other posts where you mentioned about needing/wanting to do some sort of underbelly pan to complete your current 'tank redux' look on your tractor:D:D. I'm glad to see you participating in this thread- maybe with the assistance of those who really want to do something we can hammer out a plan that is cost effective and suited to many of our tractor models in various configurations?

I'm confident that we will succeed!:thumbsup::D

/ DK-40 Skidplate for chassis! #5  
CM, I do have plans to get a pan done, it's still on the back burner though. Once the house is finished, I have a barn to complete with haying in between....oh and dang it I need to cut firewood among other things:cool: I will make it a winter project since I will have my shop cleaned out by then(all the house stuff is stored in my shop now). And even better, I pick up the house appliances tomorrow, so I am saving the refrigerator box just for the belly pan pattern:thumbsup:

CM, I do have plans to get a pan done, it's still on the back burner though. Once the house is finished, I have a barn to complete with haying in between....oh and dang it I need to cut firewood among other things:cool: I will make it a winter project since I will have my shop cleaned out by then(all the house stuff is stored in my shop now). And even better, I pick up the house appliances tomorrow, so I am saving the refrigerator box just for the belly pan pattern:thumbsup:

M7,
Keep your eyes on the watch and count backward from 10 to 0....you are feeling sleepy now...
It is now winter... and you are starting your bellypan project today! :D :thumbsup:

/ DK-40 Skidplate for chassis! #7  
There are different gauges of expanded metal. There is the thin stuff @ TSC and then there is the heavy duty stuff at your metal suppliers! I used a medium grade on my grill guard and it is pretty heavy duty...at least in my mind. If I could find my receipt, I could tell you the guage #.....I'll look but no promises. You definitely want to be wearing gloves when you work w/ it....that is for certain!!!:thumbsup:

/ DK-40 Skidplate for chassis! #8  
What about high density polyethelene? Seems like it would be strong enough, easy to work with, relatively light, and easy to form with some heat.
I have no welding capacity so maybe when I get using the tractor in the woods I'll try a HDPE skid plate.

/ DK-40 Skidplate for chassis! #9  
Ian your right that stuff is tough. They use something like it on the bottom of airboats which allows them to run on dry land for short distances without chewing up the metal hull. However, that is a flat application, so on a tractor I think the attachment points would be a weak spot. 6,000 lbs of tractor pushing down on the attachment point in a jam situation would be hard on any "plastic". I'm still thinking metal...........

There are different gauges of expanded metal. There is the thin stuff @ TSC and then there is the heavy duty stuff at your metal suppliers! I used a medium grade on my grill guard and it is pretty heavy duty...at least in my mind. If I could find my receipt, I could tell you the guage #.....I'll look but no promises. You definitely want to be wearing gloves when you work w/ it....that is for certain!!!:thumbsup:

Yes there are different gauges; my local welder cut and fit and welded/painted ex metal for my brush guard and my grapple and it came out really nice!:D
I've already put the brush guard through its paces without even being aware of it. It got a branch pushed into it that I could not see and bent the metal but saved my grill, radiator, etc. Its doing its job admirably, and things small enough to get through it aren't likely to do the level of damage they might if it wasn't there.:thumbsup:
I picture something that uses u-bolts to hang the expanded metal from the chassis, no welding or other difficult maneuvers to install. Before install, possibly with a layer of a smaller gauge, and thus smaller openings, material could be laid over the base layer and attached in any number of ways to protect extra sensitive areas. Then both layers would be mounted as suggested with u-bolts and nylock nutz. Done. Next project.
And for those who will say- what about filter/harness access etc., yes that too can be accommodated fairly easily by having areas with a more solid plate bolted in place, that could swivel out of the way by undoing a second bolt and sliding the plate out of the way of the access area.