Loss of power, fuel starvation, I think

/ Loss of power, fuel starvation, I think #1  

seacap04

Gold Member
Tractor
07 Kioti DK45 SE HST/401 FEL
Out pushing dirt today with my 07 DK45 SE HST with 740 hrs. After a couple of hours the engine started to bog down easlily and idle was about 100 rpm low, no smoke. I checked fuel filter. It was really clean, but changed it anyways. Bleed fuel system. Fuel tank was about 3/4 full. When I bleed an injection system I do it at the injection pump and the nozzels so I know it is bled and I know there is fuel flow. Started working again. Every thing fine for about an 1/2 hour and same issues again. This time I checked fuel flow from from lift pump. It looked a little enemic so I took lift pump apart and found a couple of small yellow pieces of plastic lodged in the rubber check valves. Fuel flow looked better. Bled fuel system and off to work. 1/2 hour later same thing again. This time I checked everything, Air cleaner, fuel cap vent, fuel line to lift pump. lift pump again, and bled fuel system at injection pump and injecters. Found no problems. Ran fine all afternoon. I'm stumped.

BTY, While working on lift pump I noticed a loose nut mounting a hydraulic pump to back end of injection pump. It had been painted that way so I suspect it has been that way since new.

/ Loss of power, fuel starvation, I think #2  
HAve seen trash in tank cause same problems on other tractors .. Floats around in tank till it blocks fuel line from tank , and starves engine of fuel .. Hope this helps ,,:confused:

/ Loss of power, fuel starvation, I think #3  
as mentioned here before on another thread , Kioti should have a filter before the lift pump (but they do not). So I like others here have added a inline filter between the tank and the lift pump. Just a thought , maybe your screen in your tank is clogged . I am just assuming there is a screen in your tank before your fuel leaves the tank to the lift pump . Good luck , it sounds like you are on the right trail . let us know what you find as the fix .

DK40SE

/ Loss of power, fuel starvation, I think #5  
I had a diesel car with similar symptoms. Turned out to be a bad fuel load that clogged the in-tank fuel strainer. The fact you had debris in the lift pump indicates a upstream debris problem.

/ Loss of power, fuel starvation, I think
Ran fine all day today. The fuel I am using is coming off from boats that I own and is filtered into my containers. The filter I changed out had very little debris in it, most likely from previous owner. Every time I have checked flow from tank to lift pump it has been good. I am going to put an inline filter in this line. I have to admit that I have not checked return lines. In my 35 years of running diesels I have never had an issue with an intact return line. I will check it. Next chance I get I will Drain fuel tank and check that also. Thanks for the ideas.

/ Loss of power, fuel starvation, I think #7  
I had similar issue on my Kubota BX2230 and changed fuel filters (in mine there were 2 one by the fuel pump and second under the body in line from fuel tank and it solved the problem also was told to use additive every time I refuel today's diesel is not the best for those engines
Paul

/ Loss of power, fuel starvation, I think #8  
I've always added an additive, like some other members do, to my fuel and haven't had any problems Summer or Winter, with 425 hours on the clock. Some here believe that a fuel additive is a gimmick and the fuel is already treated at the pump to provide good engine running. This is one of those to each their own practices. If you check prior posts, you'll find this discussed at great lengths.

/ Loss of power, fuel starvation, I think #9  
Water in the bottom of the tank will give you similar symptoms

/ Loss of power, fuel starvation, I think #10  
May 2017: Kioti DK40 SE. Same problem. Loss of power. Seemed to be fuel supply. Read mulitiple posts. Added fuel conditioner, changed fuel filter etc etc. Then removed various fuel lines to fuel pump, filter, injector pump and found a wasp sticking out of the line from the tank into the fuel pump, before the fuel filter. Voila. All is good.

Last edited: