Stupid tractor owner tricks

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #12  
   / Stupid tractor owner tricks #13  
And then . . . .

I'm using 5 gal plastic cans to get fuel for right now.

When pulling one can out, this little hose caught on the gas tank and fell in.:ashamed:

It happened before I could even react (needless to say, I'm much more mindful of the little hose on the other can now).

Or can I just go on about my business?

Keith

Fellow Virginian Pack-mate! Welcome to TBN!

The engineer in me worried about similar problems with my crappy EPA approved jerry cans and I devised a magnificent custom funnel!

I cut the bottom off of a 2 litre Mtn Dew bottle, right before the bottle curves. This gave me a green almost 10" tall funnel that PERFECTLY fits in the DK series fuel tank neck and hood opening. It does not move!

My problem was the cans have no hose and the nozzle provided is stubby, no way I could EVER get the fuel into the little hole in the hood.

Any std 2 liter bottle (not one of the curvy Coke ones though) will fit perfectly on the DK filler location.

Be well,
David

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #14  
I have one of these, unvented 5 gallon jugs for my diesel fuel.
66162811.jpg

And it has one of these self venting spouts.
66171011.jpg

I bend the spout into the tank mouth and then set the jug on the FEL post and twiddle my thumbs for a couple minutes. It would probably go faster if I cut some of the tip off the spout but it would be harder to bend the spout into tank mouth and tip up the jug at the start. If I had to hold the tank up the whole time then I'd probably do something different, but this works well for a soft office worker...

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks
I cut the bottom off of a 2 litre Mtn Dew bottle, right before the bottle curves. This gave me a green almost 10" tall funnel that PERFECTLY fits in the DK series fuel tank neck and hood opening. It does not move!

My problem was the cans have no hose and the nozzle provided is stubby, no way I could EVER get the fuel into the little hole in the hood.

Any std 2 liter bottle (not one of the curvy Coke ones though) will fit perfectly on the DK filler location.

David,

Thanx, man!!:thumbsup:

That's an excellent idea and actually fits well within my tractor-depleted budget!!

I'll just tell the kids they gotta drink 2 liters of Sprite.

I'll stop by the grocery store on the way home today.

Keith

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #16  
David,

Thanx, man!!:thumbsup:

That's an excellent idea and actually fits well within my tractor-depleted budget!!

I'll just tell the kids they gotta drink 2 liters of Sprite.

I'll stop by the grocery store on the way home today.

Keith

Keith,

Just to be CLEAR, If the sprite bottle is the newfangled one, it MIGHT NOT work. I can ONLY vouch for the old fashioned round top bottles.

All of my home-made solutions are below... My Diet Mtn Dew Diesel funnel is in both pics (note the ROUND TOP). I also cut the top ring off a 5 gallon bucket touse at my Kioti Oil Change Bucket, and I cut a Diet Coke bottle at an angle and added an extension I had for my oil filler funnel. (I made these recently when I finally did the 50 hour service...).

I am HAPPY to share my "El-Cheapo Solutions" with a fellow Kioti Brother.

Be well sir!

I'm off to Bush Hog for the first time since last fall!

David

Attachments

• 2012-05-25 14.07.02.jpg
    2012-05-25 14.07.02.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 2012-05-25 14.09.22.jpg
    2012-05-25 14.09.22.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 169
   / Stupid tractor owner tricks #17  
atlkep1; said:
I'm using 5 gal plastic cans to get fuel for right now. Reasonably easy to use and I'm just not sure right now how much I'm going to be going thru, so this is a good starting place.
*When pulling one can out, this little hose caught on the gas tank and fell in.:ashamed:
*Here's how I solved that problem .
photos029.jpg

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #18  
I bought one of those self priming siphons. I spread a rag on the hood. Set the can on that. Put he siphon in place and get it started. I then go do something else for 5mins or so. Works great. And you don't have hold the weight while filling. Just make sure your tank can hold what is in the can to avoid over fill.

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #19  
I don't have that problem with my Mahindra fuel tank because it is behind the seat. It also has a screen inside and collects small junk. I use an old kerosene 5 gal plastic can and I have a battery operated pump that I used to fill the kero heater with. I fold my seat forward and set the can in the seat area put the pump in and turn on. It does not reach the bottom of the can but only leaves a small amount, which I pour in with a funnel. If I would have to pour the whole can in with a funnel I would probably cramp up and spill more. Works for me and the hose could be extended if needed. They are available at any hardware store under $20. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #20  
I still use those new plastic 5 gal Jerry cans with the lever/lock gizmo but I did surgery on the lever assembly to remove the locking tab. Now I just press down the lever for fuel to flow. That makes it easier to avoid scraping off the corrugated tube into the tank. Some day I'll drive a small sheet metal screw through that tube so it can't come off the spout.