Stupid tractor owner tricks

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #1  

atlkep1

Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST
Well, the new DK40SE HST is exceeding my expectations. Things have been going exceptionally well, turning my driveway back into something that I can navigate w/out benefit of a 4WD vehicle.

And then . . . .

I'm using 5 gal plastic cans to get fuel for right now. Reasonably easy to use and I'm just not sure right now how much I'm going to be going thru, so this is a good starting place.

The cans have a little snap on plastic hose, approx .75 in. diameter, approx 6 inches long.

When pulling one can out, this little hose caught on the gas tank and fell in.:ashamed:

It happened before I could even react (needless to say, I'm much more mindful of the little hose on the other can now).

I keep looking down in the tank hoping to see it, not knowing what I'm going to do if I do see it, but wondering, is there anything in the gas tank that this little hose can screw up?

I've run about 20 gallons thru since this happened and the fuel gauge seems to be working, or, at least, it continues to move, up when I fill, down when I run.

Do I need to get this thing out of there?:confused: And can I get it out w/out removing the gas tank? Or can I just go on about my business?

Keith

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #2  
You aren't the first person that did this.
As long as the tractor runs OK...shouldn't be a problem.
If you do want to get the hose out, run the tank as low as you can (or pump the fuel out). Then, pick up one of those mechanical fingers...the flex type work better and use a couple wireties (or something similar) to affix it to your wrist. Have a flashlight handy (again, use a strap so you don't drop it!) and get the hose out.

Here's one example of the mechanical fingers:
S.E. Tools 748-4BF 48 4 Jaw Flexible Mechanical Finger#

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #3  
I suggest you may want to use a funnel with a catch screen for fueling. I had one for my FarmTrac that works okay with the Kioti and it helps in a few ways: Strains out any stuff that may get into or on the container, supposedly won't let water through(that's the claim anyway), and lets me use no nozzle on the 5 gallon can and not slop it all over the hood.

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #4  
I feel for you! I have the same cans. I can not tell you how many times this has nearly happened to me. I always wondered what would happen if I dropped it in.

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #5  
There are thousands of those things in tractor tanks. I don't use them. There are dozens of threads and accounts of dropping them in, and some people have successfully gotten them out.. I have not heard anyone say it caused any trouble.

James K0UA

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #6  
You all are talking about the environmentally friendly, global warming reducing peices of s**t gas cans they sell now. I got so sick of these crappy cans a few years ago I began to keep my eye open at lawn sales and such. I have been able to collect several of the old style cans that come with a spout and thats it. No spring loaded spout or special safties. Just fill, dump, and pour. But I do agree a nice big funnel with a screen is very helpful. :thumbsup:

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #7  
I've been keeping a eye out at any auction or flea market looking for one of those old metal funnels with the taps at the base of the funnel, you screwed it into the fuel tank liek the cap so the funnel didn't flop around when bumped it with the can. Would love to have one the go back to the military style "gerry can".

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #8  
We started using the screened funnels before we decided to buy in bulk as we go through about 600 gallons a year or more.

We dropped one in our 8540, but were able to get it out.

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #9  
The mechanical finger thing can be bought for way less than $36!!!
Try any parts store.
Its not you that's stupid, its the people who designed the safety cans and their spouts, they should have to use them to pour any liquid they use for the rest of their lives!:thumbsup:

/ Stupid tractor owner tricks #10  
I've been keeping a eye out at any auction or flea market looking for one of those old metal funnels with the taps at the base of the funnel, you screwed it into the fuel tank liek the cap so the funnel didn't flop around when bumped it with the can. Would love to have one the go back to the military style "gerry can".

You mean like this? This one is a Dorman 9-787 Galvanized Tractor Funnel

Attachments

• funnel.jpg
    funnel.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 199